HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Setting-up DNS CentOS 5.7 x86_64 [ISPConfig 3] (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54671)

VidalCastillo 27th October 2011 18:29

Setting-up DNS CentOS 5.7 x86_64 [ISPConfig 3]

Hi there,
I have found your tutorial a real piece of treasure, I loved following it. :)
I have installed my server with not a single problem. ;)
BUT, on page 5 I have found these words: "I will use ISPConfig to configure BIND". I have finished the tutorial but I could not find the details about how to configure the DNS for my website.
I have also purchased the manual, checked the section when describing how to set-up the dns (4.8.1.1 Add DNS Zone) but I do not find it explicit enough. :(

Sorry for the long story but I want to have it solved. :D

I am behind one router connected to my providers cable modem.
I have my static fixed IP: 89.103.xxx.xxx
I have build the server using 192.168.230.109 as IP, 192.168.230.101 as GW (IP or the router) and localhost as hostname

I have created a client, a website, a DB, a shell-user, and a ftp user, all fine, I can see my page from LAN from my laptop (192.168.230.102)
Now what I would like to create would be ns1 and ns2 that i have to provide to the maintainer of my domain (europeregistry.com)
In the manual, at page 154 I have found these words: "Fill in the IP address that example.com should point to" what is the IP that I will use? my 89.xx.xx.xx or my 192.xx.xx.xx ?
I think that a great improvement to the manual would be to insert some real life scenarios not only the example.com and the virtual IPs that were used.

Thank you in advance.

till 27th October 2011 18:39

The "real life" scenario where ispconfig is made for is described on page 273 of the manual "5.12 How Do I Create A DNS Zone". This expects that the server is connected to the internet directly or in other words, it is for a server or virtual server in a datacenter which has a external IP.

Your scenario is a bit different as the normal usecase though, so I will try to explain you when to use which IP addresses in DNS servers:

If you use the internal or external IP address in DNS when you run a server behind a router depends on the usecase of your network. if the dns server shall only be used to resolve "internal" domain names like mydomain.internal to private IP addresses instead of a .com or .net domain, then you use the internal IP in DNS records. But if the dns server shall be the authoritive nameserver for a external domain that is officially registered, then you have to use the external IP address.

VidalCastillo 27th October 2011 18:56

Huge thanks Till,

It is now a bit more clear to me, I will move the server and I will connect it directly to the modem, so I will have the 89.xx.xx.xx IP assigned to the server.
How can I set it up so I can have the same IP address for the website and for the ns1 and ns2, for the future I would like to host multiple domains .com and .eu.
Is there a link where this is described as for beginners?
As a second request would be if there is any tutorial how can I share internet on the second network card that I will install so I can pass the internet to the rest of my house.

wish you all the best.

till 27th October 2011 19:17

The domain registries for .com and .eu require that every zone has two nameservers or at least ns1 and ns2 must have different IP addresses, even if they are located on the same server. So if you want to run a dns server for real domains, you need either two different IP addresses from your cable provider or you need a external server as secondary dns.

Quote:

As a second request would be if there is any tutorial how can I share internet on the second network card that I will install so I can pass the internet to the rest of my house.
ISPCOnfig is nut made to run on a router. Then its better to leave ispconfig in the internal network if your cable modem is a full router and only forward required ports from the cable modem to the ispconfig server. For that scenario, you have to use xetrnal IP addresses in the DNS records then and internal IP addresses in the website settings (sites module). The translation between external IP and internal IP (NAT) is done by your cable modem then.

Running your own webserver is not a trivial task. So if you just start to host some websites, it might be easier for you if you use the dns server of the provider where you bought the domain names and just run the web and mailserver part on your local server. When you are more familar with dns and josting, then you can later switch your domains to your own dns server.

till 27th October 2011 19:23

If you like to dig deeper in how the DNS system works, you might want to take a look at this tutorial:

http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto