HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   roundcube webmail ispconfig 3 on opensuse 11.4 (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53984)

nikita11 31st August 2011 08:34

roundcube webmail ispconfig 3 on opensuse 11.4

Hello,
I have a ispconfig 3 installation on opensuse 11.4(following howtoforge instructions), and i Would like to install roundcube webmail. I tried to install it via yast but after installation the ispconfig control panel on port 8080 displays blank page in firefox. if i uninstall roundcube it gets back to normal.
Can anyone instruct me on how to properly install roundcube on my server?

thank you.

CSsab 31st August 2011 10:06

I can walk you through it but firstly I have to say that there are many different ways to install a web client and this is the one that works best for me.

I always install squirrelmail as a backup and run squirrelmail-configure.
Then I even do the symlink to /var/www/webmail add a mailbox and then log in to squirrelmail and send receive some mails. This ensures that my MTA is working properly and no other issues will get in the way of my roundcube install.

Since you have already installed roundcube you should do this:

apt-get remove --purge roundcube*

You will be asked whether you want to deconfigure the database so say yes here.

While you are removing roundcube you should get a list of packages that have been installed as roundcube "depends" ...
So, do not run apt-get autoremove
Instead, make a list of those automatically installed packages and manually install them with apt-get install <package names>

Log in to phpmyadmin and make sure that the database has been removed completely.

When you are satisfied that you have returned your system to its normal working state before you installed roundcube do this:

rm -rf /var/www/webmail
This only removes the sym link .. you still have squirrelmail in /usr/share

cd /usr/share

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...l-0.5.4.tar.gz

Follow the instructions from here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/changing-from-squirrelmail-to-roundcube-on-your-ispconfig3-server

To create the proper configurations and database.

Before making a symlink to your mail location run this command:

mv /usr/share/roundcubemail-0.3.1 /usr/share/roundcube
This simply moves your entire roundcubemail-0.3.1 directory to a new directory called roundcube in /usr/share <--- replace the version number with the one you are using.

In my case since I am using Debian, I make a symlink to /var/www/webmail like this:

ln -s /usr/share/roundcube/ /var/www/webmail

In your situation - as you have pointed out - your symbolic link from /usr/share/roundcube to your webmail location will be different.

You may have a few log in issues to begin with but these can be easily fixed.

Tell us how you go.

nikita11 31st August 2011 10:33

re

i removed roundcube before posting here, otherwise i could not reach ispconfig at port 8080, so ispconfig is in a good shape now. i would skip squirrel webmail installation since i don't need it. the server is not in use yet but i created some mail users and tested send and receive with pop and imap and it works ok.
now, in the tutorial you pointed, at step 2 you mentioned you created roundcube's db in ispconfig. that means you created it in 'sites' tab at database section(as you would do for a website)? i'm at that step now.

Thank you for your quick reply!

CSsab 31st August 2011 10:46

Yes add a new database in ISPConfig as you normally would. Make a note of the name and password. Then log in either as root or as that user in phpmyadmin to run the SQL query. I usually log in as root to run the query because your new roundcube database user will have limited privileges. You should see that ISPConfig creates the database outside of the dbispconfig.

nikita11 31st August 2011 11:20

re

i don't have a www folder in /var for the symlink. shoud I make one?
also in /usr/share, roundcube's folder is /roundcubemail-0.3.1. thanks

CSsab 31st August 2011 11:25

A good indication of where you should link roundcube to is that it will usually be in the same location as phpmyadmin login.

nikita11 31st August 2011 11:28

re

ln -s /srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/webmail

nikita11 31st August 2011 11:42

hm, no luck yet but at least the control panel is still working ;). do i have to set something under system->interface config->mail->webmail url?

nikita11 31st August 2011 11:58

well, for example i made a new site and it is in:
/srv/www/clients/client2/web2/web

CSsab 31st August 2011 12:04

Okay so try this:

rm -rf /var/www/webmail <--- if you created that.

and then try this:

ln -s /usr/share/roundcubemail-0.3.1./ /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/webmail