HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   DNS - I just don't understand how this works. (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524)

ricbax 10th September 2005 17:17

DNS - I just don't understand how this works.

Can someone please explain to me how I can setup DNS on my ISPConfig server

During the setup of ISPConfig I used an IP address instead of a domain.

I have domains sitting at my registrar but they require a Name Server + an IP Address.

Name servers at the moment are:

NS1 is 216.XXX.XXX.21
NS2 is 216.XXX.XXX.21 (usually this is different from the first?)

Any step-by-step instructions or an URL would be great on how you step up name servers with respective IP. :o

On a similar note I got the following message yesterday via email

WARNING: service dns not running (server: myserver.domain.com, port: 53)! :eek:

bolinux 12th September 2005 17:40

i have the same problem! :confused:

till 12th September 2005 18:06

If you have ISPConfig installed, you have already a working nameserver.

At your domain registry, enter the domain of your ISPConfig server as namesever and the external IP of your ISPConfig server as IP of your nameserver.

Then go to the ISPConfig controlpanel and add the domains in the DNS-Manager.

bolinux 12th September 2005 18:16

okay,

when i trie to enter the domain (xyz.de) of my ispconfig server as namesever by my domain registrar (1und1.de) i get this message:

Code:

Missing subdomain or subdomain is not ready.
any idea?

till 12th September 2005 18:19

Enter the domain and subdomain of your server.

bolinux 12th September 2005 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by till
Enter the domain and subdomain of your server.

i already enter both, whit subdomain and whitout.

here the way i do:

i ngo to ispconfig dns manager, i make an a record like ns01.xyz.de, is this okay?
and when i trie at it to my registrar 1und1.de then i still get the error message.

maybe my dns server need a nother config?

like this:

Wichtiger Hinweis: Wenn Sie den 1&1 Nameserver als sekundären Nameserver eintragen möchten, ist es zwingend erforderlich, dass Ihr primärer Nameserver einen Zonentransfer (AXFR) für den folgenden Nameserver gestattet: slv2.1und1.de [IP = 212.227.123.29].

and when i trie under tools / whois > google.de or any other domain i always get this message:

Code:

Could not gather all necessary data.

till 12th September 2005 18:55

You cannot configure the domain of your namesever in the nameserver itself. Thats the hen => egg problem :)

bolinux 12th September 2005 19:47

okay, can any one tell me what to do to get this work? :confused: :confused: :confused:

till 12th September 2005 19:54

1) register a domain. Use the DNS servers of your DNS registrar for this domain. Point this domain to your nameserver.

2) When you register your second, third, etc. domain you can add these domains to the DNS-Manager in ISPConfig. Then enter in the nameserver field at your registrar your first Domain (the domain that points to your nameserver).

bolinux 12th September 2005 20:16

okay, but that will not fix the subdomain problem by my registrar!?

Code:

Missing subdomain or subdomain is not ready.