HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mail in wrong mailbox (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48862)

LinuxNoob 18th September 2010 13:47

Mail in wrong mailbox

Hi Guys,

I followed the following guide ( http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...64-ispconfig-2 ) about 9 - 10 months ago. Prior to this, I was running Mandriva - and again was via a server setup guide via HowtoForge ( good work guys )

Current OpenSuse server has been running with no problems for the last 9 months or so - but yesterday I noticed that mail being sent to any of the 3 local domains are being delivered to just 1 catch-all account ( other domains also have catch all's and no forwards in place ) they are received in the catch-all on web1 even though the mail is addressed to domains within web2 web3 etc.

I've searched the forums and found a lot of posts relating to the same sort of issue, and that this was being referenced to an issue in with /etc/postfix/main.cf
referencing $mydomain

Would someone be able to help me out with this weird issue as I cant seem to find the problem - and this server, and mail has been running fine for 9 months. I havent changed / amended anything, and cant see any recent updates from my Disto that has amended anything relating to postfix.

Thanks

Edit - adding main.cf - i have changed the domain to mydomain.co.uk

Code:

inet_protocols = all
biff = no
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
masquerade_exceptions = root
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
myhostname = fury.mydomain.co.uk
delay_warning_time = 1h
message_strip_characters = \0
program_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
inet_interfaces = all
masquerade_domains =
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
defer_transports =
mynetworks_style = subnet
disable_dns_lookups = no
relayhost =
content_filter =
mailbox_command =
mailbox_transport =
strict_8bitmime = no
disable_mime_output_conversion = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,check_relay_domains
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_use_tls = yes
smtp_use_tls = yes
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 0
mydomain = mydomain.co.uk
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
relayhost = cluster8out.eu.messagelabs.com
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable
mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names

till 18th September 2010 19:07

The mydomain setting may not be identical to a email domain, so change mydomain.co.uk
to e.g. server1.mydomain.co.uk in main.cf and restart postfix.

LinuxNoob 18th September 2010 20:18

Thanks for the response Till

Just tried that - and still get the mail being sent to the other domain(s) being delivered to the catchall on my domain.

till 19th September 2010 11:08

Quote:

Just tried that - and still get the mail being sent to the other domain(s) being delivered to the catchall on my domain.
Thats a clear indication that the problem is caused by a wrong hostname as I explained above. Check your setup again and change the hostname to a domain or subdomain that is not used for email.

LinuxNoob 19th September 2010 12:34

There are 3 domains setup with ISPConfig.

All 3 domains are used for mail.

If I set the hostname to anything other than mydomain.co.uk - then no mail is received, to any of the 3 domains. If I set the hostname to literally mydomain.co.uk ( which I used, and this is not referenced anywhere on the server ) then no mail is delivered.

till 19th September 2010 14:37

Change it as I told you above if you want to fix the issue! Then take a look at the mail log if you have problems with receiving the email and post the new errors that you get now.

LinuxNoob 19th September 2010 19:22

If I change the mydomin - to a domain not in use at all or referenced on the server, no email is received, and nothing shows in the mail log.

Code:

Sep 19 18:08:23 fury postfix/smtpd[13034]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.2.41]
Sep 19 18:08:23 fury postfix/local[13059]: CB24242E7: to=<web1_user@hostname>, orig_to=<joe@web2.co.uk>, relay=local, delay=2.6, delays=0.03/0/0/2.5, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/proc$
Sep 19 18:08:23 fury postfix/qmgr[13027]: CB24242E7: removed

I have removed the actual domains in use above. As you can see, mail being sent to the web2 domain, is received in the web1 catch all.

I can see what your saying Till - but any combination of the above doenst work. My main issue is - the server config hasnt been changed, and has been working fine for 8 - 9 months !

till 19th September 2010 20:44

There must be domething in the mail log if you send a email to your server. Change the domain as I suggested above, then login to webmail with a account that is on your server and send yourself a email, then post the lines that you get in the mail log file. Do not use the catchall account for this test.