HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Secure SMTP not working? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4864)

binjured 13th June 2006 06:14

Secure SMTP not working?

Reference: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_po..._quota_courier

Okay, I am finally getting things setup... however, secure smtp refuses to work right now. I can use regular smtp just fine, but secure simply hangs in Evolution and won't deliver mail (no error). The mail.log file gives no indication of an attempted connection. My netstat -tap has this entry twice:
Code:

tcp6      0      0 *:ssmtp                *:*                    LISTEN    21597/master
So it seems to me that postfix is "listening", I am just not sure on which port (assumed 465?). I am not sure what else could be the problem.

binjured 13th June 2006 06:24

After doing what I believe was... uhhh.... nothing I can now connect, but I can't authenticate :(
Code:

Jun 12 23:21:53 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21652]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: Permission denied
Jun 12 23:21:53 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21652]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
Jun 12 23:21:53 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21652]: warning: <ip address>[<ip address>]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed

binjured 13th June 2006 06:48

Back again! Not sure what the hell I did, I think I added root to the group sasl or something, anyway now I get this nice one :(

Code:

Jun 12 23:41:12 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21849]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
Jun 12 23:41:12 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21849]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
Jun 12 23:41:12 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21849]: warning: <ip address>[<ip address>]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed
Jun 12 23:41:14 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21849]: disconnect from <ip address>[<ip address>]

I have read quite a few solutions, but all of them were already handled by the tutorial and I went ahead and confirmed everything (as far as I can tell).

falko 13th June 2006 11:29

Quote:

Jun 12 23:41:12 toolbox postfix/smtpd[21849]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
I guess you didn't configure saslauthd to run from within Postfix's chroot jail?

binjured 16th June 2006 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
I guess you didn't configure saslauthd to run from within Postfix's chroot jail?

Near as I can tell, I did! What else am I missing? I can connect and authorize with the pop3d-ssl server perfectly fine, I just can't send mail...

The thing that pisses me off more than anything is that secure SMTP was working perfectly fine before I had to restart the server, now suddenly only plain/TLS works.

falcon5 17th June 2006 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by binjured
Near as I can tell, I did! What else am I missing? I can connect and authorize with the pop3d-ssl server perfectly fine, I just can't send mail...

The thing that pisses me off more than anything is that secure SMTP was working perfectly fine before I had to restart the server, now suddenly only plain/TLS works.

What about:

/etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf:
pwcheck_method: saslauthd auxprop
mech_list: plain login
allow_plaintext: true
auxprop_plugin: sql
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: localhost
sql_user: ***
sql_passwd: ***
sql_database: ***
sql_select: select password from users where email = '%u'
sql_verbose: yes

and:
/etc/default/saslauthd:
# This needs to be uncommented before saslauthd will be run automatically
START=yes

# You must specify the authentication mechanisms you wish to use.
# This defaults to "pam" for PAM support, but may also include
# "shadow" or "sasldb", like this:
# MECHANISMS="pam shadow"

MECHANISMS="pam"
PARAMS="/var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"

Just give it a try, don't know if it will solve the problem