HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Server Operation (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Setting up reverse DNS on an ISPConfig 3 server (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47948)

dpicella 13th August 2010 15:42

Setting up reverse DNS on an ISPConfig 3 server

Hi,

I want to make sure I set up reverse DNS correctly for my domain/ip and DNS.

Since it is not correct now, I get warning messages and ultimately I am afraid that my server may be recjected or blackballed from email providers that perform reverse DNS lookups.

domain: jpre.net
ip: 208.76.252.130

When I open an ssh session, I get:
Quote:

reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for 208.76.252.130-unallocated.colocationamerica.com [208.76.252.130] failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
I am in control of my own DNS zones and records for my domains.

dpicella 13th August 2010 15:44

I think I need a PTR record but since I am new to DNS I am not sure if I add the PTR record to the jpre.net zone or if I create a new zone ???

pawan 13th August 2010 19:58

Setting up reverse DNS on an ISPConfig 3 server

I have had the same problem.

PTR record is controlled by your ISP and it cannot be controlled by your DNS records.

I got it changed from my ISP, which should resolve to my domain.

with my experience I am sure, there is no other way, than to request your internet service provider to make the necessary changes in your PTR record.

The same is only possible if you have a STATIC IP for your internet service.

dpicella 13th August 2010 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan (Post 236423)
PTR record is controlled by your ISP and it cannot be controlled by your DNS records.

I don't think so. I am in control of my own DNS zones and entries not the ISP. I Just don't have the experience to set up the PTR.

Forward DNS resolves to an IP from a domain name. Reverse DNS resolves to a domain name from an IP.

I am pretty sure I need to create an "in-addr.arpa" zone with the appropriate NS and PTR entries.

Anyone familiar with this?

dpicella 14th August 2010 06:29

pawan,

You I think you are right. dig -x my.ip.addr.ress

Suggests that the PTR/CNAME records are set up by the ISP who controls the class C block. I think I will ask them to add my nameservers to the reverse dns zone for my block of ips. I think that is how it works.

Thanks!

u4david 11th April 2011 20:35

still need more light on ispconfig3 and rpt

I have my own DNS .Several domains on one ip , email server.
Static ip.ISPCONFIG3 (i love it)

How do i set up RTP so i do not get error lik ethis?
"Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner"

ACDII 4th October 2011 23:26

I am in control of my PTR and need help. I am not sure how to set it up in ISPCOnfig3.

falko 5th October 2011 10:36

It's described in the ISPConfig 3 Manual.

u4david 5th October 2011 22:00

Isp done it for me

I did contact my ISP and told them to set up rDNS.
I told them to point IP to my domain.

So I ques that wont help if you are of control of that your self.
But I wonder how come that you are in control of that?

ACDII 5th October 2011 23:01

We own the address space. We are a VOIP provider who also provides internet services. We aren't really an ISP since we dont offer web or mail services, but we can handle DNS if requested.