HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ubuntu 9.04 [ISPConfig 3] - Step 12: Broken packages: sendmail, rmail (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47632)

HorseArcher 29th July 2010 05:58

Ubuntu 9.04 [ISPConfig 3] - Step 12: Broken packages: sendmail, rmail

Hi all,

I'm working on a virtual server under OpenVZ and installing the packages described in Step 12, and aptitude is telling me that two packages are broken: rmail sendmail

It offers a couple of alternatives, if I choose not to accept its solution, but they all leave postfix uninstalled.

Code:

root@www:/# aptitude install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc mysql-client mysql-server courier-authdaemon courier-authlib-mysql courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-imap courier-imap-ssl libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules libsasl2-modules-sql sasl2-bin libpam-mysql openssl maildrop getmail4 rkhunter binutils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree     
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information     
Initializing package states... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
  rmail sendmail
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  courier-authdaemon courier-authlib{a} courier-authlib-mysql courier-authlib-userdb{a} courier-base{a}
  courier-imap courier-imap-ssl courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-ssl{a} expect{a} gamin{a} getmail4
  libdbd-mysql-perl{a} libdbi-perl{a} libgamin0{a} libhtml-template-perl{a} libmd5-perl{a} libnet-daemon-perl{a}
  libpam-mysql libplrpc-perl{a} libsasl2-modules-sql libsqlite0{a} libterm-readkey-perl{a} maildrop mysql-client
  mysql-client-5.0{a} mysql-server mysql-server-5.0{a} mysql-server-core-5.0{a} postfix postfix-doc postfix-mysql
  python-support{a} rkhunter tcl8.4{a} unhide{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  sendmail-bin{a}
0 packages upgraded, 37 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 42.6MB of archives. After unpacking 127MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sendmail: Depends: sendmail-bin but it is not installable
  rmail: Conflicts: postfix but 2.5.5-1.1 is to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
rmail
sendmail

Score is 192

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n 
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
postfix [Not Installed]
postfix-mysql [Not Installed]
sendmail-bin [8.14.3-6 (jaunty, now)]

Score is -19743

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

kwickcut 29th July 2010 06:48

did you do the step 8 Edit /etc/apt/sources.list And Update Your Linux Installation

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
i think you should have entered yes

kwick

HorseArcher 29th July 2010 06:54

Yes, I did update sources.list and my installation. I've accepted the solution and completed the installation. I'll report back, once I've verified mail, etc.

Thanks for the assist, Kwick.