HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ispconfig3 and squirrel mail client (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44122)

afandino 15th March 2010 14:04

ispconfig3 and squirrel mail client

Guy's

I know this has been asked a dozen times before but i have not been able to find a clear answer.

Here is the scenario,

the mail client is accessed through the main domain of the webserver and all the clients need to be directed there for webmail access. this is how it is now.

What i need is for the client domain to have access to web mail at clientdomain.com/webmail and not the main server domain.

the other thing needed is for the address in the browser to show clientdomain/webmail, when i redirect the address bar shows the main domain/webmail

Is there a way to make this happen that is clearly described ?

thank you
tony

Toucan 18th March 2010 12:20

Have you thought about making an HTML file in yourdom.com/webmail that consists of a frame set? You can then load maindom.com/webmail into the main body frame causing the original URL to be still displayed in the address bar?

afandino 18th March 2010 15:11

I give that a try. Really had not considered that approach. I will let you know how it works out.

tony

tony_simcock 18th March 2010 15:43

What I've done is have my webmail directory symlinked to all of my client domains... works for me...

afandino 18th March 2010 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_simcock (Post 222497)
What I've done is have my webmail directory symlinked to all of my client domains... works for me...

Are you using ispconfig 3.02 ?

tony_simcock 18th March 2010 16:24

As of an hour ago - yes.
Previously I was on 3.0.1.6.

if your webmail/ directory is in /var/www/ and your client's root web directory is in /var/www/clients/client1/client1web/
then just type:
Code:

ln -s /var/www/webmail/ /var/www/clients/client1/client1web/webmail
Then when your client goes to www.client1web.com/webmail they'll get the squirrel mail login screen

Toucan 18th March 2010 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_simcock (Post 222507)
As of an hour ago - yes.

if your webmail/ directory is in /var/www/ and your client's root web directory is in /var/www/clients/client1/client1web/
then just type:
Code:

Then when your client goes to www.client1web.com/webmail they'll get the squirrel mail login screen

Nice idea Tony, my idea of the frame really wasn't the most fancy solution. I don't have much understanding of symlinks so i might give it a try myself.

Is this why I have duplicate contents of directories?

.///www/clients/client1/web33
is the same as
.///www.snugglestore.com?

Are symlinks used for that?

Afandino, don't forget you can edit the way squirrel mail looks to make it more in keeping with your sites

afandino 19th March 2010 02:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_simcock (Post 222507)
As of an hour ago - yes.

then just type:
Code:

I tried that and i get a page that says "No input file specified. "
after i created the sym link. any ideas i have seen this before when i tried previously

tony_simcock 19th March 2010 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by afandino (Post 222576)
I tried that and i get a page that says "No input file specified. "
after i created the sym link. any ideas i have seen this before when i tried previously

Hi Afandino,
What OS are you running on? if you do a ls -al in the directory you symlinked your webmail directory to, is webmail in a red block? can you access the content of the directory by following the symlink?
eg. If you go from my example above, can you view the contents of /var/www/clients/client1/client1web/webmail ?
if not, its possible the symlink hasn't worked. In which case if you do a pwd on the dir where your webmail dir is and tell me where you want it, I'll send you the command.

Tony

afandino 19th March 2010 14:53

i'm running on debian 5.0, I had read else ware that symbolic links to web mail
in ispconfig3.02 did not work correctly. I hope till or Falko could chime in here.

tony i have not tried ls -al.

the symbolic link i created did work in ftp i can view all the webmail files(not a good thing) I don't want my user to be able to see the contents of that directory for security reasons.

thanks for your help