HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What to backup ispconfig and need to know how (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41595)

nokia80 5th December 2009 18:09

What to backup ispconfig and need to know how

hi all

I want gladly know what there need backupt must become
what I know are var vmail group and users
also I gladly the codes want be possible wrap up it

i want to move ispconfig 3 to a other server :confused:

pleace help

thanks

till 7th December 2009 13:18

You need to backup /var/vmail, /var/www (or the place where you stored the websites), the ispconfig database, all mysql databases of the websites incl. the "mysql" database, the users and passwords in /etc/passwd and /etc/group. Make sure that you backup the directories with preserved permoissions.

Thomas Jensen 17th June 2010 03:07

I know this is an old thread, but; Is these directories all you need to backup, to be able to move or restore everything in ISPConfig?
So that i can just follow the Debian Perfect Setup, restore MySQL databases, the mentioned directories, and everything would be back (I've not installed anything else than the perfect setup tells)?

/var/vmail
/var/www
/etc/passwd
/etc/group
All MySQL databases

finn 27th February 2011 23:12

Just wanted to confirm whether we would need to restore
/etc/apache2/
to ensure all available sites were enabled
and
/etc/postfix/
for any custom email routing?

The only reason I can think of for not restoring these directories would be if ISPConfig automagically re-writes any missing configuration files. But these directories are not mentioned in any posts I have read about backing up or restoring.

The script posted by go0ogl3 backs up the entire /etc directory - which is clearly intended to be restored to the same server.

So perhaps it would be useful to confirm the list above as the minimum requirement to migrate data from one server to another.

falko 28th February 2011 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by finn (Post 252236)
Just wanted to confirm whether we would need to restore
/etc/apache2/
to ensure all available sites were enabled
and
/etc/postfix/
for any custom email routing?

These directories contain just the Apache/Postfix configuration, but not any web sites/emails. Therefore you'd have to back up the web sites and emails as well.

milli-pede 31st March 2011 23:55

Hi all,

I am am very much interested in finn's question about this topic.
I assume finn is clear on the fact that the apache config files do not represent the actual website content.
I would like to generalise the question as I think ISPConfig is actually managing quite a few more files in /etc and its subdirectories.

If I would restore -as mentioned here- the following files on a new system (e.g. after distro change or upgrade)

a. /var/www (web content)
b. /var/vmail (mail content)
c. /etc/passwd and /etc/group (users)
d. MySQL databases

1. would ISPConfig then rewrite the other files it manages in /etc ?
2. How about the order of the above, e.g. should not c. be copied first and then a. & b. while keeping owner, group and permission settings?
3. If 1. = True, in which interval does ISPConfig do this - so how long after the database is updated until all other config files in /etc are updated?

Looking forward to someone shedding some light into this...

kind regards,
Christian

falko 1st April 2011 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by milli-pede (Post 254419)
1. would ISPConfig then rewrite the other files it manages in /etc ?

Not necessarily. ISPConfig just changes the files where you have changed something in the ISPConfig interface. Let's say you have enabled PHP for a web site, then ISPConfig will just rewrite the vhost configuration file of that web site. So if you did not restore the other vhost configuration files, then these vhost won't work. So I suggest you back up the Apache, Postfix, Courier/Dovecot, BIND configuration as well.

Quote:

2. How about the order of the above, e.g. should not c. be copied first and then a. & b. while keeping owner, group and permission settings?

Yes, it's a good idea to restore /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow first.

Quote:

3. If 1. = True, in which interval does ISPConfig do this - so how long after the database is updated until all other config files in /etc are updated?

ISPConfig checks for changes every minute.

8omas 1st April 2011 15:09

I am also very intersted in this topic:

So... to be more accurate (for Perfect Server Debian 6)

We must backup:
c. /var/www (web content)
b. /var/vmail (mail content)
a. /etc/passwd and /etc/group (users)
d. MySQL databases (is it better to stop mysql and tar.gz the /var/lib/mysql?)
e. /etc/apache2 (vhost and other ?)
f. /etc/cron.d (sites' crons ?)
g. /etc/bind (dns records???)
h. /var/log (maybe for stats?)
i /etc/postfix (is this the default or ISPConfig 'touches' it?)
j. Anything else?

Nolan 9th April 2011 02:58

Can someone verify that 8omas is correct? I'm having to do the same process.

milli-pede 12th April 2011 00:12

Quote:

j. Anything else?
j. /etc/courier (if applicable)
k. /etc/dovecot (if applicable)
l. certificates for pop3d / imapd (if applicable and not in one of the above folders)

haven't tested any of this yet - but there wouldn't be any guarantees anyway :]

C