HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Perfect SpamSnake - Bug or misconfiguration, attachments not forwarded (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37625)

Mysterion 22nd July 2009 07:53

Perfect SpamSnake - Bug or misconfiguration, attachments not forwarded
 
Hi,

I have a problem which is happening with at least one user and that I can reproduce: A message is received by the SpamSnake, it contains some text with an XLS file attached. I can see the message in MailWatch, it is 1.5MB and I can see and download the XLS attachment no problem. The messages for this server are forwarded to an SMTP server in another location. This particular message is received at the other end but without the attachment. The SMTP server log shows that the SpamSnake announce a SIZE of 1.5MB but only the 3.5KB of text is delivered. However, if I open the message in MailWatch, go at the bottom and select to RELEASE it, the the user will also get the same 1.5MB SIZE announcement but this time the message is delivered with the attachment. The same message sent to an Hotmail account is delivered no problem. This hotmail message sent to the same email address on the Spamsnake show the same problem with no attachment delivered.

I hope I was clear enough, if someone could point be in a direction to search for this problem, I'd appreciate very much. Thanks.

Rocky 22nd July 2009 20:39

Try adding the following to filename.rules.conf

allow .xls$ - -

Remember that all whitespace in the filename.rules.conf file must be separated with tab characters.

Rocky

Mysterion 28th July 2009 18:34

I made the change but it did not solve the problem. I still receive the messages with attachments but theu are not passed to the end user. Only the text part of the message is forwarded.

Also, I found the same problem with some PDF files. Based on infos from the user, it would appear that the problem is related mostly to some specific domain names. It makes no sense at all to me.

Once again, with the PDF files, the client received the files attached once I released the message. In MailWatch, while viewing the message, on the first screen I do not see the attachments listed at the bottom like it would normally. If I click on the message-id to view the actual content, I see the message and see the attachment, which I can download without problem.

Any idea? I'm at a total loss on this one...

Rocky 28th July 2009 21:08

This is a very odd problem as I've never experienced it myself, neither did I change the default setup to fix it.

I would say that the mailscanner filetype or filename rule files are bad and thus causing mailscanner to act that way, but could be wrong.

Replace the your files with the attached files, making sure to make a backup copy first.

So you would just have to drop them into the /opt/Mailscanner-version/etc folder. Make sure to unzip them first.

Rocky

Mysterion 3rd August 2009 23:29

I made the change and it seems the problems was in those 2 files since I was not able to reproduce the problem after the correction.

I did not review my files for the source of the problem but it's probably a space instead of a tab hiding somewhere.

Thanks a lot for your help, you saved my day :-)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.