HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Maildrop problem (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36619)

gring 16th June 2009 20:43

Maildrop problem

Hi,

I tried to reinstall ispconfig with courier, and now I can't receive mails. Imap authentification works, but when I check in /var/log/mail.log, I get this:

Code:

Jun 16 19:33:42 hostname postfix/pipe[1807]: 9EC7169CC: to=<user@domain.tld>, relay=maildrop, delay=2398, delays=2398/0.04/0/0.01, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: ERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to change to home directory. )
What am I missing? The Maildir directories exist and have the good owner (vmail:vmail) and rights.
Thx

till 17th June 2009 10:03

Please install your server exactly as described in the ispconfig 3 perfect setup guide for your linux distribution.

gring 17th June 2009 19:43

I Did.

I reinstalled again, it seems the bug occurs when using ispconfig's system->serverconfig->mail panel to change directories (changed /var/vmail to /home/vmail, as it is on a different partition).
The imap server reads the files from the new location, but it seems maildrop still wants to put them in /var/vmail

I tried to change vmail user's home directory, but it doesn't work...

till 17th June 2009 19:44

The setting for the mail directory can not be changed, this is not supported. You will have to change it back.

gring 17th June 2009 20:32

I don't have room on the system partition, what should I do then? And why is the mail folder editable in ispconfig's interface if you can't change it?

edit: It seems to work now, but when I send mail to mailboxes that doesn't exit, the Maildir folders are created.

till 17th June 2009 22:16

Quote:

I don't have room on the system partition, what should I do then?
Repartition your system.

Quote:

edit: It seems to work now, but when I send mail to mailboxes that doesn't exit, the Maildir folders are created.
No, it will not work properly.

gring 18th June 2009 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by till (Post 194923)
Repartition your system.

I'd love to, but webservers are not often computers you own and keep in your room :D

I read maildrop's documentation here, and it is told in the delivery mode section that maildrop will look into vmail user's home directory.

Now, I'm reading the .mailfilter file created by ispconfig, and it seems it simply creates the maildir if it doesn't exist.

Which program checks if the user exists? It is Postfix, before giving it to maildrop (but why would Postfix be affected by vmail's directory location ?), or is there an authentification mechanism in maildrop that connects to the database?

( also changed /etc/postfix/main.cf virtual_mailbox_base to /home/vmail )

fhawk 18th June 2009 04:35

Do you chown the file??

# chown -R vmail:vmail /home/vmail

vikmur 18th June 2009 08:33

wouldn't it be simplier to create symlink? like writing
Quote:

#: ln -s /home/vmail /var/vmail

till 18th June 2009 10:51

Postfix will not accept emails for any non existing users in a default ispconfig setup, maybe you changed something there or you configured postfix before you installed ispconfig for a different setup.