HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ISPconfig 3 or 2? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35181)

oriongr 19th May 2009 19:43

ISPconfig 3 or 2?

Hi all,
it is quite generic question. I am using ISPconfig 2 for quite long time. I am happy with it. I know it and it covers my needs.

I have a new installation coming up and I was thinking to go for ISPconfig 3 (actually it is a consolidation of two servers to one).
Should I go?
For how long you will support version 2?
I know version 3 it is quite stable and I like the changes...
What is your opinion?

Thanks!

manarak 19th May 2009 19:54

obviously ispconfig 2 since nobody seems to be able to answer questions on how to use ispconfig 3...

planet_fox 19th May 2009 22:12

The Support and develompnent of ISP2 is not stoped or finished in next time.

ISP3 is a new System for Multiple Server Hosting and virtual user.

ago2guy 19th May 2009 22:32

I always have a hard time with that statement. If ISPconfig 3 is new, why is it version 3... that happens when version 2 moves to the next iteration, does it move to version 4?

If the roadmap has changed, then fine. ISPconf3 is a good product and can stand on its own as a separate product ( I voted for it :D ) It is clearly taking a different path ( i.e no resellers etc.)

Documentation is a large problem at this point and if you do not have the chops to hunt down issues I would suggest sticking with version 2 for a while longer.

till 19th May 2009 23:54

Quote:

I always have a hard time with that statement. If ISPconfig 3 is new, why is it version 3... that happens when version 2 moves to the next iteration, does it move to version 4?
We have room for hundreds or thousands of versions behind 2.x.x

Quote:

If the roadmap has changed, then fine. ISPconf3 is a good product and can stand on its own as a separate product ( I voted for it ) It is clearly taking a different path ( i.e no resellers etc.)
ISPConfig 3 has resellers. A client which has its own (sub) clients is a reseller.

till 19th May 2009 23:56

Quote:

obviously ispconfig 2 since nobody seems to be able to answer questions on how to use ispconfig 3...
Quite funny. And why there are hundreds of answers then here in the forums for questions about how to use and install ispconfig 3.

till 19th May 2009 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by oriongr (Post 189109)
Hi all,
it is quite generic question. I am using ISPconfig 2 for quite long time. I am happy with it. I know it and it covers my needs.

If ISPConfig 2 covers your needs then there is no reason to update. ISPConfig 3 is made for multiserver setups.

Quote:

I have a new installation coming up and I was thinking to go for ISPconfig 3 (actually it is a consolidation of two servers to one).
Should I go?
if you want to use the advanced email features of ispconfig 3, then yes. If the system user setup of ispconfig 2 fullfills all your needs, stay with ispconfig 2.

Quote:

years.

manarak 19th May 2009 23:58

I know, I posted that out of frustration because I don't get answers on my questions, which are probably too simple...
But still no answer :-(

till 20th May 2009 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by manarak (Post 189173)
I know, I posted that out of frustration because I don't get answers on my questions, which are probably too simple...
But still no answer :-(

This is a free software forum and not a paid support. So it may take some time that you get an answer. If you want to get paid support, then take a look at the ispconfig support page and dont complain here were poeple are answering your questions in their free time!

oriongr 20th May 2009 00:07

Thanks Till
that cleared the air for me!

Keep up the perfect work!