HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Server Operation (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mail Question (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328)

radioguy 20th August 2005 02:12

Mail Question
 
If I don't see anything in /var/log/maillog but IPOP3d does that mean mail is not coming from my external MX record or do I have a postfix setting messed up? Thanks for your help.

radioguy 20th August 2005 04:13

Need help
 
I've been unable to figure this out. No mail is being recieved and there are a lot of entries in the maillog that look like this:

Aug 19 18:05:15 server1 postfix/smtp[24334]: 9E79D3B097D: to=<muklxzfwmsrxs@lycosbox.com>, relay=none, delay=193201, status=deferred (connect to lycosbox.com[212.227.34.3]: server refused to talk to me: 421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel )

This was working the other day, but I'm sure I did something to break it. Could this be a firewall issue. I've tried sending mail locally as well with no luck. Here is the message I get when I try to send to a local recipient.

Aug 19 18:11:32 server1 sendmail[24509]: j7K1BW5n024509: to=admispconfig@localhost, ctladdr=web1_twoods (10001/10001), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30107, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued as 70AE83B0978)

It looks like it sent, but there is no message in the in box. Thanks for your help.

till 20th August 2005 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioguy
I've been unable to figure this out. No mail is being recieved and there are a lot of entries in the maillog that look like this:

Aug 19 18:05:15 server1 postfix/smtp[24334]: 9E79D3B097D: to=<muklxzfwmsrxs@lycosbox.com>, relay=none, delay=193201, status=deferred (connect to lycosbox.com[212.227.34.3]: server refused to talk to me: 421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel )

This is an message the an outgoing mail could not be delivered, not an incoming mail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioguy
Aug 19 18:11:32 server1 sendmail[24509]: j7K1BW5n024509: to=admispconfig@localhost, ctladdr=web1_twoods (10001/10001), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30107, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued as 70AE83B0978)

It looks like it sent, but there is no message in the in box. Thanks for your help.

Thats OK, there is no mailbox for this user, it is a script that catches the mails for the mail statistics.

radioguy 20th August 2005 10:58

Thanks for the explanation. That part of the log makes sense now. It turns out I had a firewall problem now I can see mail being processed. However, mail is not being deliverd to the users Maildir. pm.log doesn't have entries in it, but accourding to the maillog, mail was sent to procmail for processing. Is procmail the LDA? Here's a copy of the log entry.

Aug 20 00:55:20 server1 postfix/local[7471]: 6220B3B0978: to=<admispconfig@woodrow.cumuluseugene.com>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)

BTW, how do I intercept or forward admispconfig e-mails? I changed all references in the control panel that I could find.

Here's another:

Aug 20 00:55:20 server1 postfix/local[7451]: 6AA113B0975: to=<web1_csalpino@woodrow.cumuluseugene.com>, orig_to=<cyd@96kzel.com>, relay=local, delay=10, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)

This user has an account.

Thank you for your help. :)

till 20th August 2005 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioguy
Thanks for the explanation. That part of the log makes sense now. It turns out I had a firewall problem now I can see mail being processed. However, mail is not being deliverd to the users Maildir. pm.log doesn't have entries in it, but accourding to the maillog, mail was sent to procmail for processing. Is procmail the LDA? Here's a copy of the log entry.

Procmail is the LDA. Have you set "Maildir" in ISPConfig Management > Server > Settings ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioguy
Aug 20 00:55:20 server1 postfix/local[7471]: 6220B3B0978: to=<admispconfig@woodrow.cumuluseugene.com>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)

BTW, how do I intercept or forward admispconfig e-mails? I changed all references in the control panel that I could find.

Dont touch or try to forward admispconfig mails or you will mess up your system. The mails include only a number, this number is the mailsize of other mails processed by the system and is catched by a script to write it in the mail statistics.

radioguy 20th August 2005 21:28

Getting Closer
 
Thanks for the warning Till. I think in retrospect I changed admin mail address in the control panel for the virus admin e-mail address etc. Are ther in fact any references to admispconfig@localhost in control panel? Also, I can see mail in user folers, but for some unknown reason, I can't access them with a POP client or webmail. Any idea what I could have changed? Thanks again for all your help.

falko 20th August 2005 22:05

Quote:

Are ther in fact any references to admispconfig@localhost in control panel?
No, because noone has to deal with that address. It's for internal use only. ISPConfig needs it to create mail statistics.

Quote:

Also, I can see mail in user folers, but for some unknown reason, I can't access them with a POP client or webmail. Any idea what I could have changed?
Do you use Maildir or mbox? Did you choose the correct value under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email? You have to search these forums a little bit, you're not the first who's confused about this... :rolleyes:

radioguy 21st August 2005 00:06

I found the Maildir check box almost immediately after the installation and everything was working for about a day before POP and webmail started showing up empty. I'll keep searching for an answer on the forums. I apologize if I've been a nuisance. I really appreciate all the assistance and the fantastic app. :o

radioguy 21st August 2005 08:29

Solved
 
All is good now.

falko 21st August 2005 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioguy
I apologize if I've been a nuisance. I really appreciate all the assistance and the fantastic app. :o

Noone's a nuisance here!!! You're all very welcome on HowtoForge! :) :) :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.