HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (
-   Developers' Forum (
-   -   myDNS Template Bug (

astewart 13th March 2009 15:29

myDNS Template Bug
I tried manually creating a Zone, then added the proper records but it doesn't seem to work properly. When you create a manual Zone, there is only one 'NS' field so you cannot add a second NS to that Zone.

So i went about and noticed that when you create a DNS Template, you have 2 fields for the NS. Once I add the Template, then fill it out through the 'Wizard', it will not add or save the new DNS Zone. I click on 'Create DNS Record' but it just sits there and doesn't even load.

Is there away I can manually add a secondary NS when creating a manual Zone? Or any other way around this?

(Running the latest SVN for ISPCONFIG 3).

Any ideas or anyone else experiencing this issue?

till 13th March 2009 18:35

You mix up the ns field with the ns records of the domain. The nameservers of a domain have to be added as ns records. Create a domain with the wizard and take a look at the records that were added for this domain to see a full example.

The DNS wizrad has no known bugs, I just tested it. If you created your own template and this does not work then there is most likely a typo in your template syntax. try to use the default template delivered with ispconfig.

astewart 13th March 2009 20:29

I have manually set up a Zone and added the proper records as follows:

It doesn't seem to be working properly though.

Here is what it looks like when I 'dig' the domain:


; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>>
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 43165
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;                        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:        10800  IN      SOA 2009031320 28800 7200 604800 86400

;; Query time: 48 msec
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 13 15:22:15 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92

Here is my NSLOOKUP for the domain:


User@Server:~# nslookup

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find No answer

What am I suppose to have in my resolv.conf?
Should I be using my Servers internal IP for the A Record?
Any ideas what might be going on?

till 13th March 2009 22:15

You missed to add the dot at the end of the records.

edge 13th March 2009 22:33


Originally Posted by till (Post 175101)
You missed to add the dot at the end of the records.

Till. I think we should get somekind of validation script for this.
If no dot is added, add the dot automaticaly.

till 13th March 2009 23:01


Originally Posted by edge (Post 175117)
Till. I think we should get somekind of validation script for this.
If no dot is added, add the dot automaticaly.

We can not add a dot automatically as records without dot are valid as well.

For example, the following A records give the same result:



astewart 13th March 2009 23:10

Thanks for the help guys.
I apologize for my ignorance with setting up the DNS. I have a very knowledge of everything else but the DNS, this is the first time I am actually trying to get it working.

I have added the dots '.' to the end of each record but still no difference.
Question, after making the changes in ISPCONFIG, I shouldn't have to wait 24 - 48 hours right?

Here is what I currently have:

The NSLOOKUP is still giving me this error for

user@server:~# nslookup

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find No answer

Funny this is that when I do an NSLOOKUP for, it appears to be correct:

user@serverr:~# nslookup

Non-authoritative answer:

Oh, to add, I get an Answer when I dig but not when I dig

Any ideas why?

Can you access
(I'm within the network so I cannot tell at the moment)


till 13th March 2009 23:19

If you use nslookup like you did to query the dns server you might have to wait 24 hours. If you want to test your server right now you will have to run:


dig @localhost

Antennipasi 14th March 2009 19:08

i ques that confuse here is bit more lowlevel what it seems at first.
from firs post i see Ispconfig's hostname is, but all references to nameserver points to *

could it be that * are your service providers nameservers?
if so, you are trying to control nameservers that are not yours. obviously it is not going to work.

if you have access to somekind of control panel in or in your domain registrant, you can handle dns from there and forget Ispconfig's dns-part.

or, start using as NS, and instal another nameserver to somewhere. if you go this way, change domains nameservers from registrant to your ones.

astewart 15th March 2009 21:05 is the fully qualified Server name.
iWebsource would be the main Domain.

The DNS is now working properly, I just had to give it some time I guess to propagate.

Thanks for all your help guys.

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.