HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OpenSUSE NAS + Perfect Server? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25355)

mtyme 22nd July 2008 21:43

OpenSUSE NAS + Perfect Server?
 
This question will probably show my newbie-ness, but here goes.

I currently have an old p3 computer (gonna call it the web server) running the perfect server setup with Ubuntu (fiesty I think, may be the version prior to) and it has been working great for some time now. I use it for personal web site hosting/email/ftp. Not a lot of websites, maybe around a half dozen or so.

I've also got a fairly powerful dual core NAS server with hot swappable software raid 5 arrays running EVMS on OpenSUSE 10.3 x64. I mainly use it for storing a lot of media for SageTV including HD video captures. But I also use it as a sort of learning tool to further my knowledge of linux.

What I'd like to do is add all the functionality of my web server (perfect server setup) to the newer more powerful nas server without needing to reload from scratch.

The questions I have are:

1. How difficult will this be for a novice?
2. Can I or do I need to utilize the 2nd NIC for the web server functionality?
3. If set up correctly, how much of a concern would security be for using the one server as having both access to the outside world as the web server, and access to my internal LAN using samba for the raid 5 NAS?
4. Would it be possible to loosely follow a current Perfect Server How-To for SUSE 10.3 to install what I need without starting over?

Thanks in advance!

falko 23rd July 2008 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtyme (Post 137257)
2. Can I or do I need to utilize the 2nd NIC for the web server functionality?

If the system acts as your router, then you need a second NIC. But I assume it's in yur LAN behind a router, so you need just one NIC and configure your router to forward port 80 (for HTTP) to the system.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtyme (Post 137257)
3. If set up correctly, how much of a concern would security be for using the one server as having both access to the outside world as the web server, and access to my internal LAN using samba for the raid 5 NAS?

The problem could be that if you run a vulnerable web application on the server, people could have access to your data or even delete it. You could try to run Apache chrooted: http://www.howtoforge.com/chrooting-...ot-debian-etch
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtyme (Post 137257)
4. Would it be possible to loosely follow a current Perfect Server How-To for SUSE 10.3 to install what I need without starting over?

Yes. Just install the missing packages.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.