HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help - virtual sites - email not working - what FQDN? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22729)

sagor 26th April 2008 04:00

Help - virtual sites - email not working - what FQDN?
 
Ok, I followed all the nice howto guides from this site in setting up my Ubuntu hardy server. After the usual "php" compile failure due to missing libraries (the howto should really tell us what else to install, instead of us searching G**gle), ISPConfig is running!!

Being a newbie, I feel somewhar proud I got this far lol.

My problem - I have several web sites I want to move over to this new server, and email has always been a problem. Question is, what does one put into the domain name for the machine, if the sites are all to be virtual?

For example, lets say I have one site, www.abc.ca, with all the DNS,MX, reverse ARP, etc. all set up properly. (This site is running now on IIS, but no email.) I also have a DYNDNS site called def.homeip.net (for example) I can only point it's MX records to a FQDN name, like abc.ca (or similar) - no IP address. My port 25 is fully open to me (no ISP blocking)

So, to get to ISPConfig, I log in https://192.168.3.30, my internet LAN address. My global IP is 216.xxx.yyy.18, routed (NAT) eventually to my new Ubuntu server. What do I put in the "Managment", Server, Settings boxes? Do I put in one of my registered DNS names, of a fake name? I can see the "www" for hostname, then it wants something for "domain". What goes into "Server Name", can I put anything in there , like "mywebsite", or does this have to relate to something? I thought Postfix and such did not like the host and virtual names to be in different places, though this is supposed to be working through MySql...What IP address should I use for IP address, and what do I put in IP list then??? All my DNS names, fixed and DynDns point to the global 216.xxx.yyy.18 address

A bit long winded, but you get the idea, I want to run all my sites as virtual sites as per ISPConfig, but I'm confused when these packages ask for "another" domain name in the setup.

I can browse to the two www sites, with the default ISPConfig page showing , but Squirrelmail only seems to be able to find the domain I set in the Management address, not the "other" virtual domain...

Any comments would be appreciated...

till 26th April 2008 12:03

Quote:

Ok, I followed all the nice howto guides from this site in setting up my Ubuntu hardy server. After the usual "php" compile failure due to missing libraries (the howto should really tell us what else to install, instead of us searching G**gle), ISPConfig is running!!
The howto contains all libraries, I'am 100% sure. You must have missed something during setup.

Quote:

For example, lets say I have one site, www.abc.ca, with all the DNS,MX, reverse ARP, etc. all set up properly. (This site is running now on IIS, but no email.) I also have a DYNDNS site called def.homeip.net (for example) I can only point it's MX records to a FQDN name, like abc.ca (or similar) - no IP address. My port 25 is fully open to me (no ISP blocking)
Use e.g. def.homeip.net. But you should be aware that most large providers like hotmail will not accept emails which are send from a dynamic IP.

Quote:

So, to get to ISPConfig, I log in https://192.168.3.30, my internet LAN address. My global IP is 216.xxx.yyy.18, routed (NAT) eventually to my new Ubuntu server. What do I put in the "Managment", Server, Settings boxes? Do I put in one of my registered DNS names, of a fake name? I can see the "www" for hostname, then it wants something for "domain". What goes into "Server Name", can I put anything in there , like "mywebsite", or does this have to relate to something? I thought Postfix and such did not like the host and virtual names to be in different places, though this is supposed to be working through MySql...What IP address should I use for IP address, and what do I put in IP list then??? All my DNS names, fixed and DynDns point to the global 216.xxx.yyy.18 address
You can use any domain you like as long as the domain points to your server in dns. E.g. the def.homeip.net is fine. As IP address, you will have to use the internal IP in the server and website settings.

sagor 26th April 2008 16:31

Thanks for the suggestions Till.
As you mentioned, sites like Hotmail won't accept email from dynamic dns sites, and that is why I was hoping to use my regular domain as a MX forwarder (internally on server). So, lets review what I have...I'll use different names here to clear up the example.
I have 2 sites with proper, static FQDN names, aaa.com and bbb.com. aaa.com also has a reverse-arp defined in my hosts's DNS server. They both have MX records registered, pointing to one IP address, 216.xxx.yyy.18. I also have 2 dyndns sites, ccc.com and ddd.com, which I would like to forward mail to if it is possible, and also have all 4 sites send mail.
So, if I register mail.aaa.com and mail.bbb.com as my MX's in my registrar's DNS records, can I use one of those to relay mail to my site's ccc.com and ddd.com websites/mail users? Can I specify mail.aaa.com as the "generic" MX under ispconfig, and have it relay all emails to the 4 sites on my machine?
That's why I asked about what IP/name I should used for the "Site" management boxes, and then the qustion would be, how would I configure the www.aaa.com site in ispconfig as a virtual site as well to use the "Overall Site" MX relay?
Hope that makes it clearer. There must be people out there that run a mix of dyndns and registered DNS sites on one server...and have email working...

As for "all libraries are specified"... in the ISPConfig "Install Instructions", which I call a "howto", there is a comment: "Important: Be sure to have installed gcc, flex....You also need to install the MySQL header files which normally come in a package called mysql-devel, mysql-dev, libmysql-devel or something similar." "Something similar"?? That tells me nothing. The 3 mentioned above did not exist when I searched for them (maybe I did miss something there...). It was those libraries that I was missing, and this comment was so generic, I had to search google to find the compile error and a quoted text of what to install with a sample apt-get. It would be nice if you included a specific library install command at this point, I was left guessing for an hour of so to find a solution...

till 26th April 2008 19:26

Quote:

As for "all libraries are specified"... in the ISPConfig "Install Instructions", which I call a "howto", there is a comment: "Important: Be sure to have installed gcc, flex....You also need to install the MySQL header files which normally come in a package called mysql-devel, mysql-dev, libmysql-devel or something similar." "Something similar"?? That tells me nothing. The 3 mentioned above did not exist when I searched for them (maybe I did miss something there...). It was those libraries that I was missing, and this comment was so generic, I had to search google to find the compile error and a quoted text of what to install with a sample apt-get. It would be nice if you included a specific library install command at this point, I was left guessing for an hour of so to find a solution...
Ok, this means you did not follow one of the howtos at all. Please go to the ISPConfig.org documentation page, scroll down the page, select the howto for your linux distribution and version and follow exactly the steps described there.

sagor 26th April 2008 20:00

Well, I followed:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts

and looking at the printed sheets, where I checked every step off, I don't see what I may have missed. The mysql install in that howto only has about 4 steps, with the install loading mysql-server mysql-client and libmysqlclient15-dev.

The /etc/init.d/mysql restart worked, returning [OK]

After following that howto, the ISPConfig compile DID fail with some message about the php not compatible. Sorry, I did not save the apt-get command I found in Google, I would have posted it...Is there a log that may still have the command? I'll look for it....

PS I found one item I added, this is the apt-get command from another post: (it actually came from this forum site!)
http://www.howtoforge.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10286
When I re-compiled, ISPConfig compile worked ok.

apt-get install libdigest-sha1-perl libhtml-parser-perl libnet-dns-perl libmail-spf-query-perl razor libnet-ident-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libwww-perl libdate-manip-perl libtimedate-perl libarchive-tar-perl


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.