HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question on Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Debian Etch) (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20579)

Horizon 20th February 2008 21:00

Question on Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Debian Etch)

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

falko 21st February 2008 17:39

You can use any email client (such as Thunderbird, Evolution, Outlook, etc.) for it. As SMTP- and POP3 server you can use any FQDN or IP address that's pointing to your server; the username is the email address, and then you need the password for that account. Don't forget to enable "Server requires authentication".

Horizon 21st February 2008 19:42

Edit: the current situation is almost completely working! :D I got the virtual user logins and such checked out (just a note, maybe clarify the bit about mailbox setup in /home/vmail - I had to make the domain folder and the user folder, then send an email to the account so all the courier stuff got made)

Right now I have Thunderbird talking to them and retrieving emails just fine, however it seems that sending mail from inside Thunderbird doesn't work.

I'm guessing this has to do with the listening on local ports or something, is there a way I can open it up to allow me to send through thunderbird?

It just hangs for a minute or two, then gives me this message:
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to the SMTP server scriptsamurai.com failed. [...]

falko 22nd February 2008 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon
I had to make the domain folder and the user folder, then send an email to the account so all the courier stuff got made)

The folders are created automatically when you send the first email to that account.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon
Right now I have Thunderbird talking to them and retrieving emails just fine, however it seems that sending mail from inside Thunderbird doesn't work.

I'm guessing this has to do with the listening on local ports or something, is there a way I can open it up to allow me to send through thunderbird?

It just hangs for a minute or two, then gives me this message:
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to the SMTP server scriptsamurai.com failed. [...]

What's the output of
Code:

netstat -tap
and
Code:

iptables -L
?

Horizon 22nd February 2008 19:50

Netstat at:
http://s3rve.com/netstat.txt

And the iptables output:
Code:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target    prot opt source              destination       

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

falko 23rd February 2008 17:21

The outputs look ok.
Is scriptsamurai.com pointing to the correct server? Have you tried to use the server's IP address in your email client instead of a domain name?

Horizon 23rd February 2008 20:52

No, I haven't. I'll try that now. Also, I just had a problem crop up - Clam AV would hang or something and crash hard, making all my mail not get delivered, so it just sat in queue. What I did to fix it was disable antivirus scanning and flush the queue. I'm going to re-enable antivirus scanning in a minute, but have you heard of this happening before?

Edit: Just tried with my server IP, still no dice on sending out. I should be setting up thunderbird to send out on port 25, right?

Edit: After some more tinkering, the issue with the Clam hang is still an issue. :D I've got it disabled right now (re-commented the antivirus line in /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-content_filter_mode) so mail is delivering properly and such, but I'd like to be able to enable scanning. It just hangs really bad and I get errors in /var/log/mail.log about "all antivirus scanners failed" and it taking longer than 315s to execute and will be killed. top shows a clam process or two that are really CPU-intensive, over 100% CPU usage. I thought maybe it was an issue with my mail queue - maybe a file got sent in that was too large or something? - so I cleared out the mail queue with postsuper. Going to try re-enabling it in a bit.

falko 24th February 2008 14:20

Is your server in a local network, or is it connected directly to the internet?
If it's in a local network, have you tried the server private IP address or the public IP address of your router?

Horizon 24th February 2008 19:15

It's a remote server connected to the internet in a datacenter. I've tried two domain names and the IP address. Everything else works fine, it's JUST the connecting to the server to send outgoing mail from within Thunderbird. If I'm on the server as a real user in SSH, I can send from mutt/mail fine, but it shows up as the default hostname for my @ address, not the virtual host I want.

falko 25th February 2008 17:16

I can connect:
Code:

mh1:~# telnet scriptsamurai.com 25
Trying 67.207.134.15...
Connected to scriptsamurai.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 s3rve.com ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
ehlo localhost
250-s3rve.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.
mh1:~#

Maybe it'S a problem with your local firewall? Have you tried to connect from another computer?