HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Perfect setup Joomla with ISPConfig ? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049)

bogdinator 13th January 2006 16:43

Perfect setup Joomla with ISPConfig ?

Hello folks,
i was going along lucky with ISPConfig for a couple of month but now I need to install CMS. I browsed through the forum and came to the conclusion that I would like to have Joomla. Is there something like "The Perfect Setup of Joomla for Suse9.3 and ISPConfig :rolleyes: " I found one thread in forum dealing with problems during the installation but I can't really use is as howto for the installation.

Thanks you

till 13th January 2006 16:55

I do not know of such a howto.

But generally its really simple:

1) Create a website in ISPConfig where you have php enabled. Joomla has some problems with safemode, so you might consider to let php safemode disabled.

2) Go to the web directory of the site and install joomla according to their installation instructions. Dont use an rpm package, take the tar.gz package.

bogdinator 16th January 2006 09:57

Thanks for the hint. Originally I thought one should do it with the update manager of ISPConfig.
Thnaks!

jeanjacquesjeanjacques 16th January 2006 10:02

Hi Bogdinator,
I'm using joomla with a server running ispconfig, everything is fine, it's working perfectlly.
The only negative aspect is that joomla doesn't support the safe mode as said till. But this is not the fault of ispconfig :)

Best regards and happy joomla,

JJ

bogdinator 16th January 2006 10:23

Thanks for the hint jeanjacquesjeanjacques.
Just out of interest - what would you (you as anybody who reads this thread ;) ) recomend as a CMS which is ment to be the webportal of an academic department? I have some experience with PHPNuke but I did like it a couple of years ago... not any more :-)

jeanjacquesjeanjacques 16th January 2006 10:46

Apparently we have some common interests ;)

Actually i'm using joomla to create two websites of research departments in the university where i work.
To my mind joomla is definitively the way to go. If you feel more adventurous you could also try ruby on rails wich is also very interesting but lacking of a working cms now.
I'm afraid that we are a bit off topic now, oups.
By the way it would be nice to have ispconfig support lighttpd.

falko 16th January 2006 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogdinator
Thanks for the hint jeanjacquesjeanjacques.
Just out of interest - what would you (you as anybody who reads this thread ;) ) recomend as a CMS which is ment to be the webportal of an academic department?

You could also try Typo3 and Drupal.

bogdinator 17th January 2006 19:25

Well I did go for Joomla (it is allways possible to change :o )
BUT...
after i did come to the step where I call the browser and the system checks it's read and write permissions lots of red collor messages filled my screen.
For example /home/www/web6/phptmp/ is not writable for joomla - why?
and all this sfuff
Code:

administrator/backups/  Unwriteable
  administrator/components/  Unwriteable
  administrator/modules/  Unwriteable
  administrator/templates/  Unwriteable
  cache/  Unwriteable
  components/  Unwriteable
  images/  Unwriteable
  images/banners/  Unwriteable
  images/stories/  Unwriteable
  language/  Unwriteable
  mambots/  Unwriteable
  mambots/content/  Unwriteable
  mambots/editors/  Unwriteable
  mambots/editors-xtd/  Unwriteable
  mambots/search/  Unwriteable
  media/  Unwriteable
  modules/  Unwriteable
  templates/  Unwriteable

DO I REALLY NEED TO MAKE IT WRITABLE FOR JOOMLA. Why is it not writable by default if CMS systems need it? Is is dangerous to make it all writable? Too many questions...:eek:

--::wizZzard::-- 17th January 2006 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
You could also try Typo3 and Drupal.

Typo3 is afine thing if you know how to handle it! When my "mail problem" is solved i am on typo3 myself. install is quite simple. but i haven't gone deeper yet.

till 17th January 2006 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogdinator
For example /home/www/web6/phptmp/ is not writable for joomla - why?

This directory is writable for the webserver, so it must be writable for joomla too.

please post the output of:

ls -la /home/www/web6/phptmp/

Quote:

and all this sfuff
Code:

administrator/backups/  Unwriteable
  administrator/components/  Unwriteable
  administrator/modules/  Unwriteable
  administrator/templates/  Unwriteable
  cache/  Unwriteable
  components/  Unwriteable
  images/  Unwriteable
  images/banners/  Unwriteable
  images/stories/  Unwriteable
  language/  Unwriteable
  mambots/  Unwriteable
  mambots/content/  Unwriteable
  mambots/editors/  Unwriteable
  mambots/editors-xtd/  Unwriteable
  mambots/search/  Unwriteable
  media/  Unwriteable
  modules/  Unwriteable
  templates/  Unwriteable

DO I REALLY NEED TO MAKE IT WRITABLE FOR JOOMLA. Why is it not writable by default if CMS systems need it? Is is dangerous to make it all writable? Too many questions...:eek:
Thst depend on what you host on your server. If your server is only for your own websites, then you can simply set the directories world writable. If not, you should consider running PHP as cgi with SuExec.