HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SuSe 9.3 64-bit apt-get question... (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1980)

Bailx 10th January 2006 04:20

SuSe 9.3 64-bit apt-get question...
 
I'm following the perfect suse 9.3 howto, except i've been modifying things a little bit since i'm running the 64-bit version.

when installing apt i went with the top two listed here (haven't tried jmorris, but should it matter?)

Code:

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-scorot/apt-0.5.15cnc7-0.suse093.sc.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-scorot/apt-libs-0.5.15cnc7-0.suse093.sc.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-jmorris/apt-0.5.15cnc7-suse093.jm.2.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-jmorris/apt-libs-0.5.15cnc7-suse093.jm.2.x86_64.rpm

for my sources.list, i've been using this
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ap...urces.list.FTP

everything has been going fine, except when I got to mysql & mysql-devel. It's telling me failed: cpio: Bad magic. It seems that this would mean corrupted packages...

no doubt i could get this installed in some other way, but I was trying to follow the howto as best as I could, so that perhaps other people could benefit...

any help that someone might lend would be appreciated.

falko 10th January 2006 12:16

In that case I'd try to install these packages with yast.

gimhan90 27th January 2006 06:39

Quota configuration error/ suse 9.3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailx
I'm following the perfect suse 9.3 howto, except i've been modifying things a little bit since i'm running the 64-bit version.

when installing apt i went with the top two listed here (haven't tried jmorris, but should it matter?)

Code:

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-scorot/apt-0.5.15cnc7-0.suse093.sc.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-scorot/apt-libs-0.5.15cnc7-0.suse093.sc.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-jmorris/apt-0.5.15cnc7-suse093.jm.2.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-x86_64/RPMS.suser-jmorris/apt-libs-0.5.15cnc7-suse093.jm.2.x86_64.rpm

for my sources.list, i've been using this
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ap...urces.list.FTP

everything has been going fine, except when I got to mysql & mysql-devel. It's telling me failed: cpio: Bad magic. It seems that this would mean corrupted packages...

no doubt i could get this installed in some other way, but I was trying to follow the howto as best as I could, so that perhaps other people could benefit...

any help that someone might lend would be appreciated.




Hi,

i too use 64 bit version and followed the how to steps as neccesary changes for 64 bit. but when i tried to install apt-get , i got following error. pls give me a hint .

please chkeck my steps.

su93254144:/etc # rpm -ivh ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt....sc.x86_64.rpm
su93254144:/etc # rpm -ivh ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt....sc.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...

install apt on suse 9.3/64 bit

su93254144:/etc/apt # vi sources.list
# A very basic sources.list file.
# Remove "base" in case you are behind a slow connection.
# Fastest repository comes first, with netselect it is possible to determine
# the fastest repository easily.
# Visit the server to determine which apt components are provided.
rpm ftp://mirrors.mathematik.uni-bielefe...inux/suse/apt/ SuSE/9.3-x86_64 update security rpmkeys
rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/ SuSE/9.3-x86_64 update security rpmkeys


# The list with all available components can be found at:
# http://linix01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm
# Some components provide experimental software, select wisely!
# http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ap...urces.list.FTP

# Consult the link above if you want to include uri's for src rp

su93254144:/etc/apt # apt-get update
apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: librpm-4.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


Now i also can't use yast - i , instaed of apt-get , because when i use yast - i packagename , system asked some missing system libries. Pls try to resolve the atleast yast .

falko 27th January 2006 06:55

But does
Code:

yast
instead of
Code:

yast -i <package name>
work?

gimhan90 27th January 2006 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
But does
Code:

yast
instead of
Code:

yast -i <package name>
work?


yast -i packagename -----> pop up a screen (about Package Dependencies ) and mentioned about some libriries are missing. (librpm-4.1.so,libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5.so.2.. )

falko 27th January 2006 07:40

No, don't use
Code:

yast -i <package name>
, simply run
Code:

yast
(no other parameters)!

gimhan90 27th January 2006 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
No, don't use
Code:

yast -i <package name>
, simply run
Code:

yast
(no other parameters)!


yast

pop up the "Yast Control Centre " .

and when i went to the ,

Software ----> Install and Remove Software .

Result---> same missing library files screen was displayed .:(

falko 27th January 2006 09:36

I recommend to re-install the system; it seems to be really messed up!

gimhan90 27th January 2006 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
I recommend to re-install the system; it seems to be really messed up!


Do U mean re-install the Operating system ? :(

till 27th January 2006 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimhan90
Do U mean re-install the Operating system ? :(

Yes. If yast is not able to install a package your system must be really mesed up and if you dont have really good linux knowledge the best solution is a reinstall of the OS.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.