HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Understanding concept: users for ftp and/or email? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16154)

jmeyerdo 11th October 2007 12:23

Understanding concept: users for ftp and/or email?
 
Hi!

I am looking for an alternative solution for a Debian/SysCP-system, based on CentOS. The administration-panel ISPCONFIG looks very promising for that.

I am playing around with the VMWare-Appliance/Demo actually and studied the documentation/manual yesterday - I am really impressed about all the well working features!

At one point I have problems with understanding now:
Is it correct that every user of a site is an email-user and a ftp-user at the same time?
Which of the ftp-users can access the general web for the site? I added an additional user and he got his own web-folder under the directory "user".

With my previous understanding I need a
- ftp-user which can administer the website by ftp
- 1-xxx email-users which can administer their email/can read and send email.

Is such a "simple" solution possible with ISPCONFIG?

Thank you very much for your help,
kind regards!

Jens

till 11th October 2007 12:29

Quote:

Is it correct that every user of a site is an email-user and a ftp-user at the same time?
Yes, at least in the current 2.2.17 stable release.

In the 2.3.3 development release, ftp can be enabled / disabled for every user.

Quote:

Which of the ftp-users can access the general web for the site?
The user where you enabled the "administrator" checkbox.

Quote:

I added an additional user and he got his own web-folder under the directory "user".
Yes. All ISPConfig users except of the web admin can have their own user website.

Quote:

Is such a "simple" solution possible with ISPCONFIG?
yes.

jmeyerdo 11th October 2007 15:10

Hello!

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply!
These are interesting news - I will give the dev-version a try now.

Perhaps you could help me with my following questions regarding this additional:
- Is it possible to install the actual dev-version with the existing how-to's for actual version?
- Which version does contain the features mentioned above: the nightly builds from SVN (stable or dev)?
- How "stable" is the actual dev-version?
- How long does it take until the next RC or stable of the actual dev-version will be released?

Thank you very much,
kind regards,

Jens

till 12th October 2007 10:27

Quote:

- Is it possible to install the actual dev-version with the existing how-to's for actual version?
yes.

Quote:

- Which version does contain the features mentioned above: the nightly builds from SVN (stable or dev)?
The 2.3.3-dev version which can be downloaded from sourceforge.

Quote:

- How "stable" is the actual dev-version?
It has currently no known bugs.

Quote:

- How long does it take until the next RC or stable of the actual dev-version will be released?
I guess 1 - 2 months.

jbravo 22nd November 2007 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by till
Yes, at least in the current 2.2.17 stable release.

In the 2.3.3 development release, ftp can be enabled / disabled for every user.

Cool news!:)
I'm also interested in enabling/disabling user webdir for every user (default disabled; ftp default disabled also - minimal permissions way).

Do you know if this feature will be available in next stable version (or current dev)?
I know that i can just disable mod_userdir in apache2 or set "0" to "WebSpace MB" for every user - but it is dirty way.

Seems to me that i need test machine (or virtual one) for testing cool new features in dev version:cool:

GreetZ .:JbRaVo:.

falko 23rd November 2007 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbravo
Do you know if this feature will be available in next stable version

No, this won't be in the next stable version.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.