HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Server Operation (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   postfix - php -mysql setup problems!! (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433)

matto1376 28th November 2005 05:11

postfix - php -mysql setup problems!!

hello, here goes, I need some help from someone with a bigger brain!! mine is exhausted after getting through the how-to for fedora 4!! (great job on that by the way!!)

so far, things have worked, I have ISPConig running and am able to setup and serve multiple sites in a static environment.

so my next challenge is to get active pages and mail happening.....which is were I'm stalling. I can't get a php script to process, (formemail) and I'm not sure where to start and diagnose. mail doesn't seem to work either, are there any more detailed checks I can run?

as I said, I followed the perfect setup and things have been good until now, I'm just not sure where to go from here!!

thanks in advance, and sorry for the ignorance.

falko 28th November 2005 10:50

Have you tried the test files?
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171

matto1376 28th November 2005 14:58

tried test files.....

thanks for the reply.....!
i have tried the test files....the php file gives me alot of config info. is that what i should have expected and is there anything in that output that would be of interest?

ssi.shtml gives me a page with this:
Dynamic HTML with Server Side Includes
Date/Time on the server:
Name of this HTML file:
Installed server software:
Your web browser:

with the other file i wasn sure what to do other than what was in the test file post.

sorry to not be of more of a help, but what do you suggest from here??what else can i tell you to further describe whats going on?

thanks!

falko 28th November 2005 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by matto1376
thanks for the reply.....!
i have tried the test files....the php file gives me alot of config info. is that what i should have expected and is there anything in that output that would be of interest?

This means you don't see the source code of the PHP file in the browser? Then PHP is working!:)

Is it possible that your formemail problem is realted to register_globals? http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87

matto1376 29th November 2005 02:17

im getting there...!!!!

ive read a lot of forum posts in the last 36 hours.....what a wealth of knowledge!! im getting exicted cause things are starting to work....

ok, this means php is working....cool
i have now sorted out mail in the internal network, that is, i can send a message between 2 users that i have created on a site in ISPconfig. I had to adjust the postfix config file to have the right host.

but, how to I get my mx records in dns sorted?? is this what i have to do next?

I am now trying to send a mail message from an external domain into my network. this is what I get from the external mail server when i try to send outside in:

Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:07 AM
From: Mail Administrator <Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com> Add to address book
To: matto@bigpond.com Add to address book
Subject: Mail System Error - Returned Mail
Attachment: 2

View message details
This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <matt@mydomain.com.au>
Reason: 5.7.1 <matt@mydomain.com.au>... Relaying denied

Please reply to <Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com>
if you feel this message to be in error.

i will post what my mail log says when i try to send from mydomain.com.au to an external (bigpond.com) address.
i guess its something to do with this mx thing??

thanks!!
matt

falko 29th November 2005 02:26

Please post the output of
Code:

dig mx mydomain.com.au

matto1376 29th November 2005 02:37

more info....

[root@mydomain ~]# dig mx mydomain.com.au

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> mx mydomain.com.au
;; global options: printcmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

whats doing here?! what havenīt i done??

by the way, if i try and send a mail message to an external domain from mine, this is what i get in the mail log.....

Nov 29 11:27:55 mydomain postfix/smtp[20706]: 697E417466E: to=<matto@bigpond.com>, relay=none, delay=21, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=bigpond.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

falko 29th November 2005 10:59

What's in /etc/resolv.conf?

matto1376 29th November 2005 11:07

unchartered territory here for me...im reading as much as i can!!

; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 192.168.0.1

thanks

matto1376 29th November 2005 17:17

mail sending now works to external domain

ok, i read about the dns issue someone else had. i plugged in different DNS servers in resolv.conf and now it relays. it must not have liked my dhcp dns.
but it seems i have a dns problem.....canīt receive mail from an external domain.
this is from the mail log :

Nov 30 02:00:08 domain postfix/smtp[6201]: D5F9117464E: to=<root@my.domain>, relay=none, delay=1, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=my.domain type=A: Host not found)
Nov 30 02:00:08 domain postfix/qmgr[6039]: D5F9117464E: removed

im not sure about this dns setup or how to check if itś set up correctly.
today my isp got me to setup my server as a domain child namserver, what does this mean exactly??
inside my own network i obviously want to resolve my sites to my own server with a private ip, but outside i want the public....the public internet side is cool, but the inside, hmmm.....what do i do there?
bit confused now!!