HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   mail.log rotation (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13731)

AlArenal 29th June 2007 10:15

mail.log rotation
 
I'm sorry for crossposting, but I need a solution to a problem induced by ISPConfig.

I'm using Debian Etch with ISPC and Postfix on which by default the mail logs are rotated by syslog's cronjob around 06:30 every morning. Problem is, that at 23:00 an ISPC cronjob starts mail_logs.php which does something to mail.log (gather statistics and stuff), copying it from here to there, starting a new one, ... pretty weird and not really documented stuff.

Question:
Can't you use something more spohisticated, leaving the original log files as they are, so ISPC's cron job does not interfer with other cron jobs?

In the meantime:
Is mail_logs.php something so cool I wouldn't want to live without it running every night or may I just throw it out of my crontab?

Thx :)

falko 30th June 2007 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlArenal
In the meantime:
Is mail_logs.php something so cool I wouldn't want to live without it running every night or may I just throw it out of my crontab?

You can remove it from your crontab if you don't care about email traffic statistics in ISPConfig. :)

AlArenal 1st July 2007 16:52

That's cool, thank you!

BTW, do you plan to redesign this part in ISPConfig 3?

till 2nd July 2007 09:46

I never seen your problem on any other installation, so I guess it must have something to do that cronjobs on your server collide. Please try to run the conjobs at another time so they dont collide.

Quote:

BTW, do you plan to redesign this part in ISPConfig 3?
ISPconfig 3 has a new virtual mail system.

Morons 2nd July 2007 09:53

Traffic Statistics
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
You can remove it from your crontab if you don't care about email traffic statistics in ISPConfig. :)

What traffic statistics, how do I get that statistics you speak about?:confused:

till 2nd July 2007 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morons
What traffic statistics, how do I get that statistics you speak about?:confused:

The mail traffic statistics are on the statistics tab of the website in ISPConfig like all other traffic stats :)

Morons 2nd July 2007 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by till
The mail traffic statistics are on the statistics tab of the website in ISPConfig like all other traffic stats :)

That statistics for mail is in any case totally not functioning and soe time show zero value, the reason is that ISP rotate the logfiles at mindnite, causing syslog sometime NOT to work at all till the next day 06:23! when syslog can restart it. I saw these gaps in logfiles as I analyse them with some scripts but found them unreliable and full of gaps! Thus far I could not detect the villan! Gotcha!:D

Anwe 9th August 2007 12:16

Would just like to add...
 
We are also experiencing this problem. Each day the mail.log gets rotated at 23:59 by ISPConfig and then again by logrotate at 06:25. We're using Debian Etch, Postfix (from etch) and ISPConfig 2.2.13.

Is there a simple way to modify the script to work on a temporary copy? I would rather not deactivate the traffic statistics, customers would probably complain.

Also the mail_logs.php script won't compress old logs, this seems a bit wasteful. I noticed my maillogs for this machine are above 5 GB since about may :) I do monitor so i would've caught this before it became a problem, but i tend to assume logs are rotated correctly.

Kind regards
Andreas Wettergren

falko 10th August 2007 16:34

I've added this to our bugtracker.

till 23rd August 2007 12:07

Quote:

Is there a simple way to modify the script to work on a temporary copy? I would rather not deactivate the traffic statistics, customers would probably complain.
I checked the mail logs script. ISPConfig works already on a temporary copy and not on the original mail logfile.

Quote:

Also the mail_logs.php script won't compress old logs, this seems a bit wasteful. I noticed my maillogs for this machine are above 5 GB since about may I do monitor so i would've caught this before it became a problem, but i tend to assume logs are rotated correctly.
ISPConfig does not rotate logs, its just analyzes a temporary copy. You should check your log rotate settings to ensure that the mail log is compressed.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.