HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suggest HOWTO (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   cacert.org SSL Chained Certificates for Debian Etch (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13531)

steve1084 20th June 2007 05:58

cacert.org SSL Chained Certificates for Debian Etch
 
Hi Till and Falko

I have a Debian etch perfect server with suphp and ispconfig (because of you it works great Many thanks) But I'm finding it a bit tricky learning how to setup and install the cacert.org chained root certificates. ie how to make the request, file locations, etc etc. Information is quite scattered.

There is one howto http://howtoforge.com/secure_website...ssl_and_apache for Federa system but nothing for debian.

Site certificates are easy thanks to ispconfig its just getting the chained certificate for the root setup that seems to befuddle many people. Maybe this could be a future feature of ispconfig to install trusted (cacert.org etc) root chained certificates using ispconfig.

But for the time being is it possible to have a howto for setting up the chained certificates from cacert.org on a debian etch with ispconfig and suphp.

Many Thanks
Steve

Ps I didnt get mpm-itk to work, had many errors. dont have time for further follow up. Maybe this could also be a future howto project as there is almost no useful information out there for beginners to use.

falko 21st June 2007 16:58

I couldn't find anything about this on the cacert.org web site, but on Comodo's web site:
https://support.comodo.com/index.php...barticleid=264

Step two should be what you're looking for. :)

steve1084 22nd June 2007 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
I couldn't find anything about this on the cacert.org web site, but on Comodo's web site:
https://support.comodo.com/index.php...barticleid=264

Step two should be what you're looking for. :)

Hi FalKo

Thanks for the reply. sorry to be such a noob Im slowly getting there.

I have several more questions. There seems to be no reference to ssl in my apache2.conf file. ssl for individual sites is handled by the Vhosts_ispconfig.conf file.

I take it root server certificates were not created during my install of debian etch or ispconfig, is this correct and if not where will I find the server.crt file. there is no server.crt file in the /etc/ssl/certs folder

Certificates were only created for postfix and then for ispconfig itself, is this correct.

In order to create the certificate request server.crt etc is it enough to use [ openssl req -new -nodes -keyout myserver.key -out server.csr ] as per https://support.comodo.com/index.php...leid=3&nav=0,1 using this then to creat certificate request for cacert.org

and then make reference in my apache2.conf to the created files etc as per https://support.comodo.com/index.php...barticleid=264 is this correct, will this over-ride the individual site certificates

Many thanks:)
Steve

falko 23rd June 2007 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1084
Certificates were only created for postfix and then for ispconfig itself, is this correct.

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1084
In order to create the certificate request server.crt etc is it enough to use [ openssl req -new -nodes -keyout myserver.key -out server.csr ] as per https://support.comodo.com/index.php...leid=3&nav=0,1 using this then to creat certificate request for cacert.org

and then make reference in my apache2.conf to the created files etc as per https://support.comodo.com/index.php...barticleid=264 is this correct, will this over-ride the individual site certificates

You can use ISPConfig to create the CSR: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/14_49_en.html

steve1084 23rd June 2007 23:25

do I use the same chained certificate for the root as I do for the site?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
Yes.


You can use ISPConfig to create the CSR: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/14_49_en.html


Hi Falko

Forgive me I'm a little confused but this link http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/14_49_en.html is only for the site certificates and not suitable for producing the chained root certificate request server1.myserver.com which is not setup as a website in ispconfig but is what I thought I needed a certificate for.

or do I use the same chained certificate for the root as I do for the site?:confused:

Thanks
Steve

falko 24th June 2007 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1084
or do I use the same chained certificate for the root as I do for the site?:confused:

No, but I read from your previous post that you want to generate the CSR for the site on the shell, too. This can be done by ISPConfig instead.

steve1084 30th June 2007 06:36

Hi Falko

The one site that I found that has a howto on cacert.org chained root certificate's is in a combination of english and german I think? http://syscp.org/wiki/contrib/Instal...de/debian/etch

Unfortunately I don't understand german

Maybe this could make the basis for a proper easy to follow falko howto as you guys seem to know the best way to write a howto thats understandable by everyone, beginner and expert.

I can get a standard ssl for site with cacert.org easy but cant get the chain to work properly yet, still trying.

Anyway thanks:)
Steve

falko 1st July 2007 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1084
Maybe this could make the basis for a proper easy to follow falko howto as you guys seem to know the best way to write a howto thats understandable by everyone, beginner and expert.

I have it on my To-Do list already. :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.