VMWARE server 1.0.3 from 1.0.1 gone bad
I tried to upgrade vmware server from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3 but received several lines of the following:
'Deep recursion on subroutine "main::installer_dir" at /home/user/vmware/vmware-1.0.3/VMware-server-1.0.3-44356/vmware-server-distrib/vmware-install.pl line 1269'.
Had to Ctrl-Z out of the script.
To add more detail, I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 server edition on a AMD64 PC. Before I attempted the upgrade, I updated my kernal image, headers, and restricted-modules from 2.6.15-28.51-amd64-generic to 2.6.15-28.55
I rebooted, uninstalled vmware 1.0.1, and attempted the install of vmware 1.0.3...After the first failed attempt, I tried a couple of more times. I didn't get the error above but I also didn't see any signs of progress so I Ctrl-Z'd out. However I did notice that my root folder kept increasing in size. I did a file/folder search on '*vmware*' and found a ridiculous amount of 'vmware' subfolders in /etc. I deleted /etc/vmware but I wonder what other files or folders were installed or created multiple times.
I tried to go back to vmware server 1.0.1, which had been running fine for almost a year, but get the same problem.
I figured out what I did wrong but don't understand the difference.
My mistake was running the install script this way (from the root directory):
I looked back at the howto guide and ran the script from the directory where the files where extracted:
Oh well. Live and learn.
|All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:20.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.