HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Squirrelmail login issue (ISPConfig, dovecot, full username) (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12753)

./w 17th May 2007 02:00

Squirrelmail login issue (ISPConfig, dovecot, full username)

Hello all,

I've succesfully installed CentOS 5.0, ISPConfig 2.2.12 with Dovecot and Postfix.
(almost) Everything is working. I can send/receive emails from various domains (using pop and pops). I'm using full username: user@domain.com

I've installed the Squirrelmail package and I can't log in. I've tried using user@domain.com and domain.com_user (I've changed web[ID] for [DOMAIN] so I can login with user@domain format string), neither work.

When I try to log in as user@domain.com "tail -f /var/log/maillog" shows:

May 16 20:56:52 mail dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login: user=<_domain.com_user>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, lip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, secured

As you can see, there is an underscore as prefix of the domain, which shouldn't be there. I couldn't figure out why is this happening, that's why I'm asking here.

Hope that someone can help me with this.
Thanks in advance.

till 17th May 2007 12:09

Quote:

I've installed the Squirrelmail package and I can't log in. I've tried using user@domain.com and domain.com_user (I've changed web[ID] for [DOMAIN] so I can login with user@domain format string), neither work.
This wont work. ISPConfig does not allow usernames with @ inside. It is not enough to replace the webID with the domain placeholder. Please use the username and not the email address for logins.

./w 17th May 2007 23:51

Till, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.

The usernames for ISPConfig and for the O.S. are like "domain.com_user1"
I did all that extra configuration so you can have you email client send/receive email using "user1@domain.com" as the username.
It's working fine from the email client, but I can't log in in Squirrelmail ("wrong username or password").
So, there are not usernames with the character '@'.

/var/log/maillog shows:

May 16 20:56:52 mail dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login: user=<_domain.com_user>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, lip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, secured

As you can see, there is an extra '_' that is added at the beggining of the username. I don't know why this happens.
For what I've read in these forums, if I install dovecot and configure it for "user1@domain.com" usernames and then install squirrelmail, it should work without any modification.

Hope I was more clear this time.
Thanks for your help.

till 18th May 2007 09:38

Did you use the squirrelmail package from ISPConfig?

./w 18th May 2007 22:56

Yes I did.
Maybe this issue is in this last version, and not in the previous ones ?

till 19th May 2007 11:00

Thats not a bug in the squirrelmail package. The squirrelmial package is for the default ISPConfig installations. You use a unsupported configuration for your mail system and so it might be that packages built for ISPConfig will not work with your configuration out of the box.

I will close this thread now as you have two other threads for the same topic open where already answers are posted.