PDA

View Full Version : site with no domain assigned to IP

manarak
5th June 2009, 13:59
hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to assign a site to an IP instead of a domain, and if it is then still possible to run other domains normally on the same box.

Currently, if I set a website to an IP, every domain on the server gets redirected to that site - seems like a bug to me.

Whereas the Server's IP directs to a page that just says "it works".

I would like to be able to configure the server's IPs to direct on certain sites setup in ISPC without a domain or setup with a dummy domain.

Running a site on an IP is quite handy for adservers and other technical content providing.

falko
6th June 2009, 11:25
This is not possible because ISPConfig configures name-based vhosts, not IP-based vhosts. If you use IP-based vhosts, you can have just one web site per IP.

manarak
6th June 2009, 11:28
It was possible on Plesk 7.5.4 which I ran before.

Maybe it could be a cool addition to ISPC?

till
6th June 2009, 11:43
Just enetr any dummy domain name in the site settings and select the IP address, it will work then fine with ispconfig.

manarak
6th June 2009, 11:45
my experience with doing this is that all sites get then redirected to this one site setup on the IP address, am I wrong?

till
6th June 2009, 11:56
If you setup an IP based site then you can not setup more sites with the same IP on your server. All other sites must use a different IP address and none of these other sites get s redirected there.

manarak
6th June 2009, 11:59
ok, thank you for the confirmation.
that's what I said in my first post - I still think this could be a neat addition is ISPC.

manarak
6th June 2009, 12:07
let me ask a slightly different question:
where does this "it works!" page come from?
where is that html file located?
maybe I could just put some files there.

giganet
7th June 2009, 07:27
Hi Manarak

The 'It Works' page is generated by Apache.
I had this same issue with the primary site which is also the host on my server using ISPC3 too!
Just set the domain to use '*' rather than an IP address and the primary site should display.

I wouldn't suggest placing any files to be served anywhere in there ither...

Best Regards

manarak
20th May 2012, 23:17
ok, I have just installed a new server and found out how to achieve that.

create a site in ISPConfig3 and give it a dummy domain name, for example dummy.com

in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
you got a file named 000-default

rename that file _000-default for later if you want to be able to reverse

then put a symlink from 000-default to 100-dummy.com.vhost

ls -s 100-dummy.com.vhost 000-default

done!
your dummy site is now the default site on the server and its contents will be shown whenever someone goes to your full hostname or the IP address.

@devs: could something like that please be implemented as a feature in the control panel instead of requiring messing with the conf files?

till
21st May 2012, 09:28
You can do this already in ispconfig, no need to edit any files manually. Just enter:
000-default.tld as domain name of this site and disable the dumy site with the a2dissite command.