View Full Version : Messy DNS issue

8th April 2009, 06:51
Hi, thanks to all who helped me previously, now im getting close, but this has got me really confused.

My server is called "server1.agama.net"
My domain is "agama.co.nz"
my NS1 is "ns1.ggohdin.net"

This is the output of "dig @localhost agama.co.nz"

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P1 <<>> @localhost agama.co.nz
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 47409
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;agama.co.nz. IN A

agama.co.nz. 86400 IN A

agama.co.nz. 86400 IN NS ns1.ggohdin.net.
agama.co.nz. 86400 IN NS ns2.ggohdin.net.

ns2.ggohdin.net. 86400 IN A
ns1.ggohdin.net. 86400 IN A

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; WHEN: Wed Apr 8 15:49:10 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 124

which to me looks correct.

But when I look at my dns setup using this website http://www.intodns.com/agama.co.nz it shows all the errors of my DNS setup.

Please if someone could help.

9th April 2009, 14:49
Did you create A records for ns1.ggohdin.net and ns2.ggohdin.net?

10th April 2009, 00:56
Hi, in ISPconfig3 I have my SOA for agama.co.nz then I have my A and NS records for my nameserver in that SOA. Is that correct?

Only other thing I can think of is it might be my registerar.

Thank you for getting back to me.

10th April 2009, 01:18
HI, sorry but did you mean A record for my NS with my registerar? because for some reasion when I enter in my NS (ns1.agama.net.) and i enter in my ip address for that NS it wont save on their database, I have emailed them about it, do you think thats the problem?


10th April 2009, 14:30
You need A records for ns1.ggohdin.net and ns2.ggohdin.net, not for ns1.agama.net. These A records must exist in the ggohdin.net zone.

11th April 2009, 00:03
Thanks, I have added a zone called ggohdin.net. and I have added the A records with ns1.ggohdin.net. pointing to my external IP. so I just have to wait for propagation time?


11th April 2009, 21:24
There are no authoritative nameservers define for ggohdin.net:

mh1:~# dig ns ggohdin.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> ns ggohdin.net
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 57904
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;ggohdin.net. IN NS

net. 900 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1239474197 1800 900 604800 900

;; Query time: 149 msec
;; WHEN: Sat Apr 11 20:32:59 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 102

mh1:~#You must define the nameservers in your registrar's web interface.

15th April 2009, 03:51
Hey, thanks for all the help, but I might just give up. I donno why but my server downloaded 25GB in 7 days, and since their is no such thing as UNLIMITED download here, it probabaly isnt a good idea.


15th April 2009, 12:31
Downloaded what from where?

15th April 2009, 13:17
I donno, I it hasn't saved anything to the hdd as far as I can tell from the raid status.

It seems it was either uploading and downloading about 4 - 8 gb a day of requests it seems. Which is not good considering over here I get charged $2 per gig for anything over 25gb.

I did get the website to work in the end, it seems that the control panel for the domain registrar had some issues with their data base and not holding my IP in their A record.


15th April 2009, 13:23
Then you should take a look at your logfiles adn website statistics which files were downloaded and ypu should vhcek your system with a rootkit scanner like rkhunter to make sure that your system was not hacked.

16th April 2009, 06:33
Hey, I have checked with rkhunter and everything was perfect, no suspected files, everything is green and perfect. Not really to sure what the problem would be.