PDA

View Full Version : ISPConfig 3 DNS / Server settings

tachou12
22nd September 2008, 20:38
First off, I would like to thanks you guys for your effort not only to create the application but to help out in configuration and troubleshooting.
I have been using ISPconfig for over a Year and I like it and it works very well for me. Now I got myself a dual wan pfsense firewall with 2 static PIP and I am trying to user the new beautiful ISPconfig version 3
Assuming that my public Ips are WAN:1.1.1.1 and WAN2: 2.2.2.2
Here is the settings that I am working with
1.1.1.1 is fowarded to 192.168.200.1 and the the name server is ns1
2.2.2.2 is forwarde to 192.168.200.2 and the nameserver is ns2
in ispconfig 3, I am completely lost with where I shoul add my public Ips and my name servers. Can someone please give me somepointers. I already spent over 12 straigt hours trying to get it on my own but now I am getting nuts.

Thanks in advance
:confused::confused:

adobe
22nd September 2008, 22:22
Maybe this post might give you some idea : http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26958
________
Toyota N engine history (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_N_engine)
________
Charles de Tornaco (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Charles_de_Tornaco)

tachou12
22nd September 2008, 23:14
For exemple:
i replace this setting with my internal IP address is this correct? for the name servers are they my name servers or the ISP's?

[server]
auto_network_configuration=n
ip_address=192.168.0.105
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.0.1
hostname=server1.example.com
nameservers=193.174.32.18,145.253.2.75

What about the location for the dns configuration directory, I cannot find the zone for none of the created domain.

Thanks

till
22nd September 2008, 23:49
The nameserver settings under server have nothing to do with the nameserver that you run for your own domains, this are just the nameservers that are used to resolve external domains (/etc/resolv.conf). Just do not change anything there.

All setting related to your own domain names are in the dns manager module.

tachou12
23rd September 2008, 00:01
Thanks for the reply but the settings in my servers don't match up with ispconfig 3.

under Servers - Config, I have those generic settings, may be they are installed by default:

[global]
webserver=apache
mailserver=postfix
dnsserver=mydns

[server]
auto_network_configuration=
ip_address=192.168.0.105
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.0.1
hostname=server1.example.com
nameservers=193.174.32.18,145.253.2.75

Here is my resolv.conf
search something.local
nameserver 64.59.135.133
nameserver 64.59.135.135

Does it make since to you?

Also is there a script to restart ispconfig3?

Thanks again

till
23rd September 2008, 00:18
Does it make since to you?

Absolutely, as I told you above, this has nothing to do with your problem and the settings dont have to match with your system as ISPConfig does not write them in the current versions.

If you want to solve your problem, just create a dns record in the dns manager, there is no relevant setting in the system settings module for this so dont search there for settings.

Also is there a script to restart ispconfig3?

No, as there is no daemon that could be restarted.

You seem to mix up the way ISPConfig 2 and 3 work.

1) There are no global nameservers ettings in ISPConfig 3 similar to the settings in ispconfig 2.
2) There is no own webserver and daemon process in ISPConfig 3, the server configuration is done by a cronjob.

tachou12
23rd September 2008, 00:37
You are 100% correct, I was trying to compare the settings with ISPConfig 2.

I think now I have a better understanding of ISPConfig 3.

Thanks again

till
23rd September 2008, 00:54
Hi, I made two screenshots that show the setup of a complete domain in ISPConfig 3 as example (see attached files).

tachou12
23rd September 2008, 01:29
Thanks a million .......I think I am not patient enough or trying to complicate simple thing.

I will work on it tonight and I will post my findings.

tachou12
23rd September 2008, 21:00
Thanks a lot guys. Everything works fine for me now.

lihsus
1st January 2009, 19:58
Hello,

I have installed ISPconfig 3 on CentoOS 5.2. Created the DNS zone and records as explained by Till. DNS queries work for the local host lookups. However, dig returns the following for an external server :

[root@ns1 www]# dig google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> google.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 16419
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com. IN A

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 1 12:42:56 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 28

In the MyDNS configuration what is the equivalent of "forwarders" option in the bind 9? Also, how to I do a split DNS configuration similar "split views" in Bind 9.

Thanks in advance.

till
2nd January 2009, 07:37
Please make sure that you have valid dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf
Mydns can not resolve domains names, but you can set a external resolving server in mydns.conf. But this should not be nescessary as long as you gave valid other servers in /etc/resolv.conf.
I dont think that mydns supports split views.

lihsus
2nd January 2009, 16:59
Thanks Till. I have disabled myDNS and using Bind 9 for DNS since I am running everything on one server. For now, I have manually created the zone files and named.conf. Does ISPconfig 3 has support for BIND 9 similar to ISPconfig 2 ?

till
2nd January 2009, 20:47
No, bind is not supported by ISPConfig 3.

odonel
3rd January 2009, 15:36
till,

Thanx for the shots....

Do I have to do this for each domain that I am serving or are these done once ?

I basically would like to have user1.mydomain.com, user2.mydomain.com, domainxyz.com, www.domainxyz.com

sort of like zoneedit does it.... I thought ispconfig would be able to do that, I have been trying for over a week now... no solultion.... any help ?

I did my settings at godday ns1.mydomain.com ==>> xx.xxx.23.4, ns2.mydomain.com ==>>xx.xxx.23.5

Please help

umano
19th March 2009, 13:19
Does it make any sense to set ns2 with a different ip like 123.123.123.124?

By the way i don't know why my domain registrar ask me everytime for ns1 and ns2 with different IPS.

The question is, have I to add the Ips in /etc/network/interfaces like

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static

address 192.168.1.44
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255

and so on for the others ips?

I know it's a noob question but the how2forge tutorials make me so confident to forget cpanel :) It's incredible that a person with not-specific knowledge can set up a fully functional, and well set, web server in less than an hour.

Thanks in advance

falko
20th March 2009, 14:11
Does it make any sense to set ns2 with a different ip like 123.123.123.124?

By the way i don't know why my domain registrar ask me everytime for ns1 and ns2 with different IPS.

That depends on your registrar. For some registrars, two different IPs are enough, but others also require that the IPs come from different subnets.

gobokster
17th April 2009, 15:02
Hi, I made two screenshots that show the setup of a complete domain in ISPConfig 3 as example (see attached files).

thanks for this screenshots .. i'm now able to configure it the right way .. with free subdomain :D co.cc

u4david
5th January 2010, 20:15
I would appreciate if anyone would take the time and tell me how do i need to set up my dns on ispconfig3.

I have several domains from one provider.They all point to one static public IP.

My configuration is static.public.ip.201>router>server
Router have ports open that are used by ISPconfig3 firewall(several tcp/udp ports) all assigned to server with local.static.IP.11:
local.static.IP.11 server1.mydomain1.net server1

mydomain1.net as the root domain (.net) points out will be used only for server back end as a tech/tools side domain if you will.
Server have ispconfig3 installed.

All sites loading they home pages(tested on each site and yes they load they specific pages per domain as virtual hosts on one IP)

postfix mail configuration have name same as the server name
server1.mydomain1.net (but with dpkg-reconfigure i can change it to mail.mydomain1.net if desired and and if that is a option i think it would simplify further configuration)
Just not sure if the mail server name could have different name from his host as is all one server .

mydomain1.net as the root domain (.net) points out will be used only for server back end.
mydomain1.com is mysite
mydomain2.com is site for someone other hoping to have more later on.

I think there was a place in ISPconfig3 installation and procedures to name name server like ns1 and ns2? If so i forgot what i put there and may need way to pull the config out to find out but not sure how.
And again can the NS configuration if any carry different name from his host name?

before i go any furher i have to have this cleared out as the rest will involve based on names used in above configurations.

Thank you

till
6th January 2010, 11:35
Just not sure if the mail server name could have different name from his host as is all one server .

They can be different, but normally you use the same name as the server hostname.

I think there was a place in ISPconfig3 installation and procedures to name name server like ns1 and ns2?

There is no such setting because it is not needed for ispconfoig 3. You use the dns server of your provider or registry, so you dont have to set tghis in ispconfig.

u4david
6th January 2010, 17:42
I know i have the option to use provider for DNS records,I have been using them so far for all mine sub domain/ mx. What I do want is to use DNS build in ispconfig3.
Now I know i have to add custom NS.
Custom NS registers mine domain DNS with registrar.
Ones registered do i also need to change the primary and secondary servers from registrar default to mine custom that i just added.And if I only have one dns server(the one build in ISPconfi3 do I just keep using the second one from mine registrar defaults? Or do i make some sort of Cname for secondary (fake) or do I keep the defaults and add more DNS server with the registrar defaults?

I know it will all take up to 4 days to become usable.As is takes time to propagate.Is there way to speed this up?So testing can be done instantly or least faster?

I would like to understand DNS that is why i would not use registrar DNS records.Just another think to figure out.Love it.

So thanx to all tinkers and geeks for reply.

u4david
6th January 2010, 17:44
advantages of ispconfig3dns:

i would think that any changes to dns ins ispconfig3 will be instant.
Name server caries your domain instead third party.
All configuration related to the server is in one location.
Experience and understanding ho the stuff works hands on.

grillonic
18th April 2010, 16:33
No, bind is not supported by ISPConfig 3.

ISPConfig 3 does not support BIND? , not even chrooted?? really?... cuz, that would explain a lot :(

falko
19th April 2010, 11:59
Since 3.0.2, ISPConfig does support BIND.

yipi
20th April 2010, 08:42
hi ,
i have problem with ispc 3.

i can #dig @localhost ns1.challenger.co.id
yipi@taserver:~$ dig @localhost ns1.challenger.co.id

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P2 <<>> @localhost ns1.challenger.co.id
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 60565
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns1.challenger.co.id. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns1.challenger.co.id. 86400 IN A 110.76.***.***

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
challenger.co.id. 86400 IN NS ns1.challenger.co.id.
challenger.co.id. 86400 IN NS ns2.challenger.co.id.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.challenger.co.id. 86400 IN A 110.76.***.***

but when i #dig ns1.challenger.co.id without localhost
the result like this
yipi@taserver:~$ dig ns1.challenger.co.id

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P2 <<>> ns1.challenger.co.id
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 27993
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns1.challenger.co.id. IN A

;; Query time: 1151 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.1.200#53(10.0.1.200)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr 19 22:41:46 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 38

please help me .:(

thanks before

falko
21st April 2010, 17:17
Is your nameserver authoritative for the domain challenger.co.id? You can find that out by running
dig ns challenger.co.id

Sinchan
7th May 2010, 06:05

hi all,
i didnt understand, what a meaning "allow zone transfer to these IP" form in first images above. Is it zone transfer to slave DNS?
iam using ISPConfig 3.0.2.1

falko
7th May 2010, 15:01
Yes, it's the zone transfer to the slave DNS server.

Sinchan
7th May 2010, 15:47
just make sure your answer since i new in ispconfig..
if i had :
primary server act as ns1.mydomain.com : 111.222.333.1
slave server act as ns2.mydomain.com : 111.222.333.2
then at that form i write : 111.222.333.2 right ?

falko
8th May 2010, 13:29
Yes, that's right. :)

jorge_msm
28th June 2010, 19:18

Gracias por el aporte me ha ayudado bastante, pero tengo un detalle, ya me responde si acceso como www.ejemplo.com, pero si intento accesar por http://ejemplo.com no entra, ni los pings responden solo si hago ping www.ejemplo.com , alguna idea de por que este haciendo esto??

saludos

jorge_msm
28th June 2010, 19:25
Gracias por el aporte, me ayudo mucho, pero tengo un detalle, si acceso al dominio www.ejemplo.com sin problemas, pero si intento http://ejemplo.com no encuentra el dominio, al igual ocn los pings ping www.ejemplo.com lo resuelve pero ping ejemplo.com no, y el detalle es que cuando mando correos llegan sin problema peor al responderlos no encuentra el dominio ejemplo.com gmail me dice DNS Error: Domain name not found

De antemano agradezoc tus atenciones

jorge_msm
28th June 2010, 19:35
Gracias por el aporte me ha ayudado bastante, pero tengo un detalle, ya me responde si acceso como www.ejemplo.com, pero si intento accesar por http://ejemplo.com no entra, ni los pings responden solo si hago ping www.ejemplo.com , alguna idea de por que este haciendo esto??

saludos

tengo configurado exactamente como lo tienes en el ejemplo, pero no me responde sin www, alguna idea

Gracias

falko
29th June 2010, 14:55
Please post in English!

mixian
29th June 2010, 18:02
Hi,
i'm looking for this discussion for solve my problem, but nothing.

I have two server:

Server 1 : IspConfig 3, Mydns. (Master DNS)
Server 2 : Bind9 (Slave server)

Both on Amazon whit unblocked port 20,21,22,53,953,80,Icmp etc....

I do syncro my 50-60 (1-2 for day) domain name from ispConfig panel to Bind and i not completely understand the real step that make the system.

When i add a domain with the wizard, mydns make the autotransfer AXFR or only with manual adding of ZONE on complete the field AXFR?

I'm looking for solution, i found many tutorial about transfer zone from MyDns and
Bind but the transfer happen only when the required zone is write manually in config file named.conf in the slave server.
At restarting the service the transfer is completed.

What is the best procedure for optimizing my situation?

Is correct to change MyDns with Bind ? What benefit could I get?

Is Bind that connect to server Master for copy Zones or IspConfig (Mydns) send information to Bind?

The port 53 are 953 are correct?

Sorry for my english and my many questions, but is a week the no solve my problem.

Thanks.

falko
30th June 2010, 16:09
The zone transfer should happen automatically. Are there any named errors in the syslog on the slave?

mixian
30th June 2010, 17:06
No. No error.
At this point, I should switch to IspConfig 3 and syncronize the zone with rSync.
This is a good solution ?

till
30th June 2010, 17:12
The problem is that you have not installed ispconfig on the slave, which means that you currently have to configure a slave zone in bind on the slave manually for every domain.

ISPConfig 3 has a builtin synchronistaion feature, this requires that you install ispconfig 3 on the slave server too in expert mode and choose to join the master. You should select "no" when the installer asks you if you want to install a interface on the slave. Then login to ispconfig on the master, go to the server settings for the slave server and select that this server shall mirror the master. ISPConfig will then mirror all configuration settings incl. the bind configuration automatically to the slave.

mixian
1st July 2010, 12:25
Ok.Till. Thanks.

I try to install ipsconfig on the slave in expert mode.

But myDns should be installed with option "--without-mysql" ?

I work with zendserver CE and i have problem for compile it with mysql-zend-server.

I should be use also an istallation of postgresql on the slave and mysql on the master ? It's bad solution ?

till
1st July 2010, 13:57
You have either to use mydns with mysql (without mysql will not work!) or BIND. postgresql is not supported.

mixian
2nd July 2010, 11:18
I have ask you if mydns start correctly without mysql because i have difficulty to configure mydns when launch the configure command.

I have installed for my applications Zend Server (that install mysql-server on different folder).

Whene i launch from my console "whereis mysql" this is the result:

"ns2:/tmp/mydns-1.2.8# whereis mysql"
"mysql: /usr/bin/mysql /etc/mysql /usr/share/mysql "

None of the above path associated with the command ends properly configuring
"./configure --with-mysql-lib=XXXXXXXX"

Ideas ?

till
2nd July 2010, 11:24
The mysql dev library is missing. Please make sure that you installed your server exactly as described in the perfect server tutorial for the linux distribution that you use.

mixian
2nd July 2010, 11:31
Is a problem if i have installed Zend Server (Apach2,php,mysql,etc..) ?!??!

till
2nd July 2010, 11:34
Is a problem if i have installed Zend Server (Apach2,php,mysql,etc..) ?!??!

Yes, it is not supported and will not work as ispconfig does not know the locations and paths of applications so it can not configure them.

mixian
2nd July 2010, 11:44
Thanks Till, but if i use only for syncrhonize my zone of dns server ?

mixian
2nd July 2010, 13:34
Can i use only mydnsConfig ? It's good solution?

till
2nd July 2010, 13:36
Zend server is not supported by mydnsconfig as well, as zend server uses non standard paths for applications and configuration files. But you can try to write your own installer or modify the ispconfig /mydns installer to add support for zend server.

DataVampire
3rd July 2010, 18:39
Hi a quick question what does the tld on the end of the domain names mean.

ie

example.com.tld
ns1.example.com.tld

ect ect
many thanks

mixian
4th July 2010, 01:36
Hi Till,
i have installed successfullly myDnsConfig on my application server (ZendServer) and i have configure it as Slave DNS of my first Server DNS Master with IspConfig.

I had some problems with path Mysql and PHP-CLI but I managed to solve them.

I have just patched two field of table DNS_SOA into database dbmydnsconfig (added last two field of same table of dbispconfig on the Dns Master Server) otherwise the query failed integration of data in the Slave.

I'm very happy. the system is stable.
I stay quiet?

falko
4th July 2010, 19:59
Hi a quick question what does the tld on the end of the domain names mean.

ie

example.com.tld
ns1.example.com.tld

ect ect
many thanks
.tld stands for "Top Level Domain" and is a placeholder for .com, .net, .org, .de, etc.

DataVampire
4th July 2010, 23:56
Thanks i worked it out lol, it was prety obviously. lol