PDA

View Full Version : Features for ISPConfig 3

Hans
29th March 2007, 14:52
Dear Till,

I know you're busy with the developement of ISPConfig 3.0.
This version will support multiple servers which is very nice.

Is it maybe an idea to install php as a CGI, so we can use suPHP as default in combination with ISPConfig? I think it is a professional solution, which is also used by the bigger hosting companies.

Another nice feature would be that forwarded email is scanned for (virusses and spam) first, before it is forwarded to an external mailaddress.

mlz
29th March 2007, 16:34
It's also a major force driving customer to me Hans. php cgi is slow and has problems of it's own. Perhaps have it as an option, but forcing it would mean I wouldn't be able to use version 3.

In my opinion, PHP as CGI is a waste of resources.

till
29th March 2007, 16:43
ISPConfig 3 will support PHP as module and via SuPHP equally :)

Hans
29th March 2007, 16:50
Ok Till,

Sounds great! :)
Thanks for your reply.

mlz
29th March 2007, 17:45
Awesome Till. I love options.

Hans, sorry for my tone, wasn't trying to dismiss PHP as CGI, more that it really should be a option and not forced. I really worded things badly there.

Hans
29th March 2007, 17:58
No bad feelings here :)
I like to hear your opinion!
Personally i prefer php as a module for "normal"websites and php4 as CGI+suPHP for Content Management Systems for example. But the web admin must be careful with setting permissions of course.

mlz
29th March 2007, 18:56
That is where being multi-server will be an asset. You could have wildly different servers based on what a client needs. (even if the servers are VPS.)

PoleCat
4th April 2007, 20:19
That is where being multi-server will be an asset. You could have wildly different servers based on what a client needs. (even if the servers are VPS.)

When you guys say multi server, do you mean you have 1 master install of ISPC on a server, and the other servers have a client install. Then the master ISPC sends commands to the client servers that listen on a specified port that can then in turn create sites etc?

Or do you mean multiservers as virtualisation on 1 machine?

Having open ports can be a potential problem on other machines if its not ipfw/ipchains ip access control based for the open port. I hope this multiserver function is a option and not a necessity for IPC3.

falko
5th April 2007, 17:40
When you guys say multi server, do you mean you have 1 master install of ISPC on a server, and the other servers have a client install. Then the master ISPC sends commands to the client servers that listen on a specified port that can then in turn create sites etc?

Yes, it will work somehow like this.

till
6th April 2007, 11:04
ISPConfig 3 will allow single and multiserver setups. This means all services may be on the same server like in ISPConfig 2 or the services may be spread to several servers and also there may be several servers of every type, e.g. 5 webservers, 2 mailservers, 1 database server that are controlled from within one controlpanel.

There where no commands send from one server to the others and there is no security problem with this. ISPConfig 3 uses either one central database server or replicated databases on the child servers. MySQL is able to encrypt the connections and if thats not secure enough for you, you may even setup mysql trogh a ssh tunnel or vpn.

heymrdj
7th April 2007, 05:24
ISPConfig 3 will allow single and multiserver setups. This means all services may be on the same server like in ISPConfig 2 or the services may be spread to several servers and also there may be several servers of every type, e.g. 5 webservers, 2 mailservers, 1 database server that are controlled from within one controlpanel.

There where no commands send from one server to the others and there is no security problem with this. ISPConfig 3 uses either one central database server or replicated databases on the child servers. MySQL is able to encrypt the connections and if thats not secure enough for you, you may even setup mysql trogh a ssh tunnel or vpn.

Now that's a sweet sounding panel right there. And all of this is still going to be free? No "you need to go pro" licensing fees? Man you guys rock :D

PoleCat
8th April 2007, 15:44
ISPConfig 3 uses either one central database server or replicated databases on the child servers.

Ahhh now I understand how you guys are designing it. That's pretty smart, I never thought of it working that way. Yeah that's not a problem at all then.

till
8th April 2007, 21:06
Now that's a sweet sounding panel right there. And all of this is still going to be free? No "you need to go pro" licensing fees? Man you guys rock :D

ISPConfig 3 is licensed under BSD style license like ISPConfig 2.

TexasTaz
9th April 2007, 18:09
ISPConfig 3 is licensed under BSD style license like ISPConfig 2.

When is the expected release date? If you need Beta Testers I would be awful glad to help with that I have 3 servers right now.

See ya,
TexasTaz

till
9th April 2007, 19:57
When is the expected release date?

There is no release date yet. I hope that I may release a first alpha version soon. I will announce this in the forum, so everyone is invited to test it :)

heymrdj
9th April 2007, 20:36
There is no release date yet. I hope that I may release a first alpha version soon. I will announce this in the forum, so everyone is invited to test it :)

Sounds good. I got Debian 3.1/4.0, Ubuntu 6.06/6.10/7.04, Fedora Core 6, and Centos 4.4 servers that are free to test it on :).

planet_fox
17th May 2007, 19:46
is real a date for beta on October 07 ? for ispconfig 3.0 ?? and have ISP3
a new design. ?

till
17th May 2007, 21:05
is real a date for beta on October 07 ? for ispconfig 3.0 ??

Yes, I think we will have a beta of ISPConfig 3 until october.

and have ISP3 a new design. ?

Yes. Not only a new design, ISPConfig 3 is rewritten from scratch and as a completely new ajax based interface.

planet_fox
18th May 2007, 11:34
I hope Plesk have long time for update the software for Debian Etch.
My Co-Admin want Plesk on the server. He like the frontend and think
the say Plesk is on most server in Internet install.I don't change from
ISP Config to plesk. My personal + Points for ISPConfig is

1. Support from ISPConfig is very good

2. ISPConfig is OpenSource

3. Direct Contact to the Developments

4. HowToForge have many Howtos for Linux and ISPConfig

planet_fox
28th August 2007, 10:19
Hi Till,

Have you a Idee for the next puplic alpha version of ISPConfig3 ?

till
28th August 2007, 10:43
I had planned a next alpha release for this week, but we had some large code changes that delayed things a bit. I expect that I can release the alpha3 next week.

The Alpha 3 will include the DNS-manager, so that we have almost all basic features then.

planet_fox
28th August 2007, 14:26
all basic features

Oh nice, good work you the can see a rc in next mounth ?

till
28th August 2007, 14:36
Oh nice, good work you the can see a rc in next mounth ?

I guess a RC will need a bit more time. But hopefully the first beta in 1 - 2 months :)

alexnz
29th August 2007, 15:20
till could you also spend some time doing a quick german to english varible + strings translation for the community,

i understand ispconfig is opensource, but when looking at your code its very hard to understand wants going when all the strings and variables are in german!!

if you could comment your code in english or give a quick translation sheet on your string and variable names that would be great! - means i can start contributing to the project rather than hacking around bits of your code etc..

till
29th August 2007, 15:28
There are no variables in german in ISPConfig 3 and just one file which has german comments. I guess you mix up ISPConfig 2 and 3. ISPConfig 3 is a complete new project, written from scratch which does not share code with ISPConfig 2.

In ISPConfig 2, most files are commented in german.

till
29th August 2007, 16:53
To alexnz: The ISPConfig 3 sources are available here:

svn://svn.ispconfig.org/ispconfig3/trunk/

alexnz
3rd September 2007, 00:17
thanks! - whats the eta on release ?

edge
3rd September 2007, 00:35
thanks! - whats the eta on release ?

See till's reply 5 messages above this one.
I guess a RC will need a bit more time. But hopefully the first beta in 1 - 2 months :)

grandpagenocide
23rd September 2007, 16:54
#1 will there need to be a client end of Ispconfig3 on each server?
#2 would it be able to manage a windows 2000 server mixed in the farm?
#3 is there a release date for a finished release?

Thanks guys you guys are the best on here

till
23rd September 2007, 17:13
1) No, there is just one client interface for all managed servers.
2) No, at least not at the moment. We will start with support for linux and then add support for freebsd and maybe solaris.
3) No. But I expect that we have a first release at the end of the year.

CoolFXs
26th September 2007, 21:42
I have a few questions about ISPConfig3...

1:Will it support mirroring/replication of server?

2:When I create a DNS zone will it create a slave zone on another server automatically?

3:Are there any other mirroring/fail-over features going to be implemented into this version?

hairydog2
26th September 2007, 23:40
my question is will there be an upgrade from ispconfig2 to ispconfig3 or will it need to be a new install?

till
26th September 2007, 23:52
1:Will it support mirroring/replication of server?

config mirroring, yes. Data mirroring can be done with e.g. rsync or a cluster filesystem and is not part of a controlpanel.

2:When I create a DNS zone will it create a slave zone on another server automatically?

All DNS is managed in a mysql databse, so there is no zone creation for slaves nescessary as all slaves run on the same or a replicated database.

3:Are there any other mirroring/fail-over features going to be implemented into this version?

No, because this is something that is configured when you setup the servers e.g. by using apache mod_proxy and cluster filesystems and nothing that needs to be configured in the controlpanel.

till
26th September 2007, 23:53
my question is will there be an upgrade from ispconfig2 to ispconfig3 or will it need to be a new install?

No. Because ISPConfig 3 has other software requirements and a ISPConfig 2 setup is not compatible.

There will be a import function for ISPConfig 2 settings.

hairydog2
27th September 2007, 00:03
There will be a import function for ISPConfig 2 settings.

So I'd need to set up the server from scratch, then import the settings and then move the data across? Sounds like a big task.

till
27th September 2007, 08:05
So I'd need to set up the server from scratch, then import the settings and then move the data across? Sounds like a big task.

You dont have to update to ISPConfig 3, just stay with the ISPConfig 2 series if you dont want to reinstall your servers.

The new features in ISPConfig 3 have other software requirements then ISPConfig 2 has.

CoolFXs
27th September 2007, 09:38
config mirroring, yes. Data mirroring can be done with e.g. rsync or a cluster filesystem and is not part of a controlpanel.

All DNS is managed in a mysql databse, so there is no zone creation for slaves nescessary as all slaves run on the same or a replicated database.

No, because this is something that is configured when you setup the servers e.g. by using apache mod_proxy and cluster filesystems and nothing that needs to be configured in the controlpanel.

Thanks Till :)

mlz
27th September 2007, 15:34
Till, will 3 be able to support MySQL replication of the control DB? For people that start with one box, then move to two, for redundancy, this is almost a must.

till
27th September 2007, 21:39
Till, will 3 be able to support MySQL replication of the control DB? For people that start with one box, then move to two, for redundancy, this is almost a must.

Sure. But this has not to be configured in the controlpanel, just setup primary slave database replication on all servers where the controlpanel server is the master.

till
5th November 2007, 10:32
Third alpha version of ISPConfig 3 available for download as installer tar.fz and ready to run vmware image:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16962

archerjd
11th November 2007, 00:18
Will version 3 support SNI as in this site?
https://sni.velox.ch/

Also, since the users will be virtual will we have the option to enable WebDAV for each individual site?

This would be awesome!:D

till
11th November 2007, 15:21
Will version 3 support SNI as in this site?
https://sni.velox.ch/

Also, since the users will be virtual will we have the option to enable WebDAV for each individual site?

This might be supported in later versions, but not in the first release.

dorgan
18th February 2008, 23:57
any eta on a release of this??

falko
19th February 2008, 13:56
Not yet...

DeaDMonaX
12th March 2008, 13:21
It will be great if ISPConfig has templates-based web front-end. Just for lovers of traditional-design for hosting-panels.